Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Ram Overheating

tigerstyle64
07-02-2011, 05:13 PM
First the problem my 2002 dodge Ram 1500 with a 4.8L V8 is overheating. When I first noticed this I was driving to my parents and they live 2 1/2 hours away one direction and on the trip down everything thing was fine. On the trip back up however my ram over heated and I had a bed in my bed but it wasn't a hot day or anything but it overheated then I pulled over cooled it down and the overheated again this happened several times on the way home but finally got home. I then proceeded to flush my coolant out of the engine and change the thermostat filled it back up let it run for a couple of hours and everything was fine. I took it for a long drive and it ran fine no overheating or anything. So about a month passes and the temp heats up to about 105F and my truck starts to overheat again first time was with a 600lbs lawn mower in the back so I unloaded that let it cool down and tried it again but did the same thing. Now it is overheating every time I take it out and I can't figure out what is wrong. Now it doesn't get all the way to hot but it does stay steady at 3/4 of the way there and that is all I let it get I always pull over when it gets to hot.

So the only thing that I could think of to do is bleed the radiator. I didn't know you had to remove that little valve on the rams I just thought you had to let it run with the cap off and it would bleed itself like the older model vehicles did. I have since did that but to no change.

The pump does work it does pump the fluid though the engine and the A/C blows cold and the heat blows hot all of that works.

If anybody can think of anything or give me a direction to look in I would much appreciate it Thank you

tempfixit
07-02-2011, 05:49 PM
First the problem my 2002 dodge Ram 1500 with a 4.8L V8 is overheating. When I first noticed this I was driving to my parents and they live 2 1/2 hours away one direction and on the trip down everything thing was fine. On the trip back up however my ram over heated and I had a bed in my bed but it wasn't a hot day or anything but it overheated then I pulled over cooled it down and the overheated again this happened several times on the way home but finally got home. I then proceeded to flush my coolant out of the engine and change the thermostat filled it back up let it run for a couple of hours and everything was fine. I took it for a long drive and it ran fine no overheating or anything. So about a month passes and the temp heats up to about 105F and my truck starts to overheat again first time was with a 600lbs lawn mower in the back so I unloaded that let it cool down and tried it again but did the same thing. Now it is overheating every time I take it out and I can't figure out what is wrong. Now it doesn't get all the way to hot but it does stay steady at 3/4 of the way there and that is all I let it get I always pull over when it gets to hot.

So the only thing that I could think of to do is bleed the radiator. I didn't know you had to remove that little valve on the rams I just thought you had to let it run with the cap off and it would bleed itself like the older model vehicles did. I have since did that but to no change.

The pump does work it does pump the fluid though the engine and the A/C blows cold and the heat blows hot all of that works.

If anybody can think of anything or give me a direction to look in I would much appreciate it Thank you

WHen it gets hot is the coolant fan working??? Does it make a difference if the a/c is on or off?

tigerstyle64
07-02-2011, 06:07 PM
All the fans are running in the engine compartment and actually now that you mention it when the A/c is on it overheats faster and when it is off and I roll the windows down it cools it down slightly

tempfixit
07-02-2011, 06:45 PM
All the fans are running in the engine compartment and actually now that you mention it when the A/c is on it overheats faster and when it is off and I roll the windows down it cools it down slightly

Check to see if the coolant fan turns on when you turn the a/c on. When the a/c is on the coolant fan should run at all times. I am not sure if this vehicle has double fans or not.

tigerstyle64
07-15-2011, 05:51 PM
I have done some more research on the subject at hand and I have found out that I don't believe that my truck is necessarily overheating because the coolant doesn't overflow or act abnormal so I believe to could be a coolant temperature sensor is faulty. I found out that that is a very inexpensive part and so I decided to just replace it. It is right behind the alternator though and I was wondering if there is any good way of replacing it or do I need to pull the alternator off to get to it? Also on the 2002 ram 1500 there is a plastic cover on the top of the engine that says 4.7L magnum on it. What is the name of this part I can not think of it also it looks like if I just remove it I can get to the sensor a lot easier. Is this something that is easy to remove or not. thanks you

Also what would be the torque spec of that sensor?

tigerstyle64
07-16-2011, 03:42 PM
I changed the sensor and it is still reading hot. So I have done that and replaced the thermostat and I checked that that was working and it is. As a answer to tempfixit yes the fans all run at the right times and in the right order and everything. I believe the only to things left is the water pump and the rad itself. What is a good way to figure it out or does anybody else have any input to give I am getting desperate. I have also decided to take it to a rad shop to have them look at it and I will go from there with what they find out but I won't do that until next weekend at the earliest. thanks for your input and everything

tigerstyle64
07-23-2011, 01:20 PM
I have a bit of an update. I went and took the physical temp of the engine with a temp gun and the top of the radiator is about 170 to 180F and the bottom of the radiator is about 130 to 140F. The top of the heads are right at about 185 190 and there is one spot on the pass side that is 210 215 but that is the hottest it gets. Now I drove it around all morning today in about 101F temp outside with the A/C off and the gauge never got outside of the normal range and these are the temps I took off of the engine after I got back. I then turned up the a/c to full blast and the gauge started to climb farley quickly and once it got up to right below the H on the gauge I took all the temps again and they didn't change but a couple of degrees here and there. So I am thinking my gauge is giving me a false reading. Has anybody else had this problem and what would cause the gauge to read false. Also am I taking the temp correctly with the right parts of the engine to get a good reading. Thanks for all of your guys help

Add your comment to this topic!