Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

tranny help once again, help me wiswind

jaygio31
07-01-2011, 01:48 PM
so i stated a feew weeks ago my od light was flashing about once ever few days. i brought it in and they told me it had vss code p0500 and torque conv. stuck in locked position, they cleared codes and sent me on my way. week later light flashing, went back again and they said it wasnt pulling any tranny codes( no surprise since they rebuilt it and are under warranty). the other night light flashed again just before i got to work. i parked my van and then moved it litterally across the street and all of a sudden dumped all my tranny fluid out. car was running for about 30 seconds. had it towed to shop and he said he could not locate the leak but dropped the tranny, open it up, replaced pump gasket seal, stator, torque converter. also he said my crankshaft had excessive play and was wearing those parts out. does that sound right the crankshaft causing these problems. i paid zero for all the repairs but wonder if he could be hiding something.

wiswind
07-01-2011, 10:55 PM
I don't really have anything to add except that the P0500 code is a generic OBDII code that you can read yourself or have read at many auto part stores for free.
I would want the VSS replaced, if not already done.
It is not a expensive part, hard to get at due to its location, but it is mounted on the outside of the transmission case......on the back....above the front catalytic converter.

Crankshaft play, I would expect some leak from that rear seal on the motor if that were happening.......I'm no expert, but I'm not understanding that one.

FishFind
07-01-2011, 11:18 PM
agree. you would see oil leak also if that was wobble

tomj76
07-05-2011, 09:31 PM
I'd add that anytime my O/D light has flashed since I've owned a scan tool there was a code stored. However, sometimes the code clears after just a couple of drive cycles (i.e. warm up/cool down).

One thing you can do it check the code before taking it to the shop (Autozone and other autoparts stores will read your codes for no charge). After you visit the shop you can read the codes again if you feel they haven't been completely honest. Anytime the PCM is reset there will be a code stored (non-MIL P1000) until the full I/M readiness cycle has been completed.

Add your comment to this topic!