Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fuel pump & ABS light

Hntingwolf
07-01-2011, 12:19 AM
About a month ago my ABS light would blink and sometimes stay on and sometimes turn off. I'm not sure if it's related or not, but after a week or so with the ABS light my fuel pump stopped turning on. I checked the fuses, the relay and the pump and I had a mechanic double check me. We both came to the conclusion that the fuses were fine, the relay was fine and that the pump was shot as it wasn't turning on when I turned the key on. I replaced the pump a few days ago and low and behold.....it still doesn't turn on. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tony Silva
07-01-2011, 12:26 AM
You gotta narrow it down...first clean all the ABS sensors and see if that don't take care of the abs problem. No biggie here, just 10mm bolt's...even though I don't know what year or type of car you drive...POST IT!!!. I work at a dealership for engine management...post the year, make and model of your car.

Hntingwolf
07-01-2011, 05:12 AM
Yup you can definately tell I posted in the middle of the night. Sorry about that. My vehicle is a 2005 Explorer Sport Trac with about 68000 miles.

shorod
07-01-2011, 06:43 AM
Do you have a scan tool or test light? Have you checked the fuel pump inertia cutoff switch? Is the "Security" or "Theft" light rapidly flashing when you attempt to start the truck?

There's a 20A fuse in the Battery Junction Box that should have power to and through it at all times. It will either be fuse F1.5 or, in "late production" vehicles, F1.30. This fuse provides power to the fuel pump relay in the Battery Junction Box. The fuel pump relay should be energized when the key is turned to "Run" (power provided through fuse F1.40, 15A) via the PCM Power relay. The switched side of the PCM Power relay is powered via fuse F1.3 (30A) also in the Battery Junction Box. The fuel pump relay should provide power to the inertia cutoff switch. If the switch is closed and working, along with the rest of the wiring between the switch and pump, the power will go through the switch to the fuel pump driver module. The fuel pump driver module is actually what will then provide power to the fuel pump. The driver module is switched by the PCM.

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!