Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

New LS Owner

TKasper
06-28-2011, 03:11 PM
Ok, so I just bought a 2000 LS V8 yesterday and I love the car. I put in the gas that has 10% ethanol (a little above 0 car knowledge here), and I think that may have triggered the emission light to come on?

Anyone with some experience have any input here? The light came on as I was accelerating on the highway (from about 10mph to about 55-65 cant remember for sure). It blinked initially, then it has been solid since that happened early yesterday evening.

The vehicle came with about 130,000 miles and the light didn't come on til the time I mentioned up there in the middle.

joegr
06-28-2011, 03:40 PM
Ok, so I just bought a 2000 LS V8 yesterday and I love the car. I put in the gas that has 10% ethanol (a little above 0 car knowledge here), and I think that may have triggered the emission light to come on?

Anyone with some experience have any input here? The light came on as I was accelerating on the highway (from about 10mph to about 55-65 cant remember for sure). It blinked initially, then it has been solid since that happened early yesterday evening.

The vehicle came with about 130,000 miles and the light didn't come on til the time I mentioned up there in the middle.

The LS can handle E10, that's not your problem. However, do note that you need to always use gasoline with an octane of 91 or higher.

The only reason that the check engine light on the LS will blink is for a misfire.
You can get the OBDII codes read to find out which cylinder misfired. The most common cause of a misfire is a marginal COP (Coil-On-Plug). Many of us have found that once one coil starts to fail it is often best to replace all eight of them. Also replace the associated spark plugs.

TKasper
06-28-2011, 04:00 PM
The LS can handle E10, that's not your problem. However, do note that you need to always use gasoline with an octane of 91 or higher.

The only reason that the check engine light on the LS will blink is for a misfire.
You can get the OBDII codes read to find out which cylinder misfired. The most common cause of a misfire is a marginal COP (Coil-On-Plug). Many of us have found that once one coil starts to fail it is often best to replace all eight of them. Also replace the associated spark plugs.

Out of curiousity what could I expect to pay to replace all that?

EDIT: Also where to buy it? What brand?

joegr
06-28-2011, 04:43 PM
Out of curiousity what could I expect to pay to replace all that?

EDIT: Also where to buy it? What brand?

The OEM coils range from about $50 to $100 each, and there are eight of them. The spark plugs should be less than $5 each. You'll also need a little dielectric grease. If you can't do it yourself, then expect an hour or two for the labor charge.

If any of the spark-plug wells have oil in them, you'll need to replace the valve cover gaskets on that side, or both sides.

TKasper
06-28-2011, 04:45 PM
The OEM coils range from about $50 to $100 each, and there are eight of them. The spark plugs should be less than $5 each. You'll also need a little dielectric grease. If you can't do it yourself, then expect an hour or two for the labor charge.

If any of the spark-plug wells have oil in them, you'll need to replace the valve cover gaskets on that side, or both sides.
Ouchhhhh :banghead:

TKasper
06-28-2011, 06:46 PM
A little update: guy that took a look at my car said it should all be fine and that I need to be sure to just put premium in all the time.

joegr
06-28-2011, 06:51 PM
A little update: guy that took a look at my car said it should all be fine and that I need to be sure to just put premium in all the time.

Nope. Do some searches on the LS, and you will see. If you ignore this problem, then you repair expenses will rise greatly when you have to replace the catalytic converters that will be destroyed by the misfires.

You might also read the owners manual which will point out that a flashing check engine light is a very bad thing.

TKasper
06-28-2011, 06:54 PM
Nope. Do some searches on the LS, and you will see. If you ignore this problem, then you repair expenses will rise greatly when you have to replace the catalytic converters that will be destroyed by the misfires.

You might also read the owners manual which will point out that a flashing check engine light is a very bad thing.
Damn, rock and a hard place right now. I don't like to say I'm ignoring it though, coughing up the 500+ to fix it is just, frankly, impossible right now.

RJLipscomb
06-28-2011, 08:39 PM
Damn, rock and a hard place right now. I don't like to say I'm ignoring it though, coughing up the 500+ to fix it is just, frankly, impossible right now.

Do the smart thing first. Take it to Autozone or other and ask them to check for the codes. Report the code back here for further advice/suggestions. It may be a simple fix.

And, yes, always use premium gas.

TKasper
06-28-2011, 08:52 PM
Do the smart thing first. Take it to Autozone or other and ask them to check for the codes. Report the code back here for further advice/suggestions. It may be a simple fix.

And, yes, always use premium gas.

Code brought up a cylinder 6 misfire

joegr
06-28-2011, 10:01 PM
Code brought up a cylinder 6 misfire

That's the driver's side, second from the front. Why don't you replace that plug and coil now, and then get to the rest when you can?

TKasper
06-28-2011, 10:16 PM
That's the driver's side, second from the front. Why don't you replace that plug and coil now, and then get to the rest when you can?

Even that would be tough on me financially, if they are up to $100 like that other feller said. Either way, I will certainly look at replacing it in the near future though.

RJLipscomb
06-29-2011, 08:02 AM
Even that would be tough on me financially, if they are up to $100 like that other feller said. Either way, I will certainly look at replacing it in the near future though.

You can wait a week and see if the premium gas clears up the error code. Your choice.

Autozone has a Duralast COP for about $45. For $50+/- you can replace the #6 plug & COP. Then when you can, given the age and mileage, replace all plugs & COP's. It is relatively simple. The back/bottom bolt is a little difficult to get off, but with diligence and patience, you'll get it.

joegr
06-29-2011, 08:23 AM

The $100 high end price that I threw out is what it would cost you to get a coil from a Ford dealer with no discount. There are some Ford dealers on-line that will sell you the same coil for $50 after discounts. Also, you can non-OEM coils from autopart stores for $50.

danielsatur
06-29-2011, 04:14 PM
I have seen NEW 8-COP's on Ebay for $104 includes shipping.
With 130K miles, I am assuming you might already has new plugs and COP's.

A misfire on cylinder 6 is like a burp!

Use high octane fuel, reset code, and monitor.

RJLipscomb
06-30-2011, 08:52 AM
I have seen NEW 8-COP's on Ebay for $104 includes shipping.
With 130K miles, I am assuming you might already has new plugs and COP's.

A misfire on cylinder 6 is like a burp!

Use high octane fuel, reset code, and monitor.

Raises a good question... Do you know the car's maintenance history? Sad to say, I probably haven't documented mine as well as I should have. Note to self... update the maintenance logs.

And, with that said, pull out the maintenance schedule, and start planning to bring it current.

danielsatur
06-30-2011, 12:48 PM
Check My garage on AF, It's like a My CARFAX for your car to help keep records and
reminders for routine maintenance.

I hope it has new secondary cam chain tensioners!

Add your comment to this topic!