Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Oil Change Question

luckyplanet
06-26-2011, 04:24 PM
I have a quick question on my 2010 Toyota Corolla. I do not drive much(around 1500miles/6months). So, if I were to stick to the oil change every 3000miles, it would be a year in between each oil change. I am not sure if that's an okay time between oil changes? If not, how often should I get it changed. I usually just take it into a Firestone store and get the synthetic blend put in. Thanks a lot!

danielsatur
06-26-2011, 04:38 PM
Go by the mileage not age!

kevinande
06-26-2011, 04:55 PM
Personally I would change it about every four months considering where you live? Do you start and run the car every now and then or does it just sit? The other thing you could do is just change the filter every other change. In other words lets you change the oil in January, in May just change the filter and top off the oil. In September do a full change and so fourth and so on. The oil does not have a shelf life per say, but it does trap lots of impurities and condensation, that's why you want to make sure you have a good clean filter on there at all times. I had a T-bird that I ran 100% synthetic Mobil 1. I changed the filter every three months and a full change every year. That car had 176k on it when I sold it.

luckyplanet
06-26-2011, 07:33 PM
Thanks to the both of you for reply. Though I drive few miles, I drive often. Most days, the car is started twice. I think I'll just change the oil once every 7/8months or so. Hopefully that is about the right time in my situation.

Add your comment to this topic!