Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 shift cable replacement problem

Gnikhog
06-25-2011, 08:28 AM
I need the correct column shift cable assembly procedure.

I replaced my shift cable yesterday. Attaching the transmission and shift column ends of cable section was not a problem. Once this was done I connected the 2 cable sections together which is where I ran into problems. My repair manual said to move the cable clip down one position, push the two cable assemblies together, then push the clip to the final locking position. This is done with the transmission in neutral and the column shift indicator on 'N'. (Yes, I was careful to be sure the transmission was really in neutral.) The end result was the shifter indicator is way off - the transmission goes into PARK while the indicator is still pointing to R and the column shifter bottoms out with the transmission in '2' with the indicator on '1' (but the new shift cable does shift nice and smooth). All I can figure is that maybe (??) the column shifter popped out of N when I pushed the two cable sections together. As this is a one shot deal, I will have to pony up $100+ for another cable.

Does anyone have some better directions/tricks so I can get it right the second time?
Any tricks to taking the two cable sections apart to save the cost of another new cable?

Scrapper
06-25-2011, 09:17 AM
I need the correct column shift cable assembly procedure.

I replaced my shift cable yesterday. Attaching the transmission and shift column ends of cable section was not a problem. Once this was done I connected the 2 cable sections together which is where I ran into problems. My repair manual said to move the cable clip down one position, push the two cable assemblies together, then push the clip to the final locking position. This is done with the transmission in neutral and the column shift indicator on 'N'. (Yes, I was careful to be sure the transmission was really in neutral.) The end result was the shifter indicator is way off - the transmission goes into PARK while the indicator is still pointing to R and the column shifter bottoms out with the transmission in '2' with the indicator on '1' (but the new shift cable does shift nice and smooth). All I can figure is that maybe (??) the column shifter popped out of N when I pushed the two cable sections together. As this is a one shot deal, I will have to pony up $100+ for another cable

Does anyone have some better directions/tricks so I can get it right the second time?
Any tricks to taking the two cable sections apart to save the cost of another new cable? you should be able to ajust that if i'm taking you rite? try this with foot on brake put it in drive and start it see if it takes off with you if so neatrual safty may need ajusted. and are you sure
they gave you rite cable?

Gnikhog
06-25-2011, 11:01 AM
you should be able to ajust that if i'm taking you rite? try this with foot on brake put it in drive and start it see if it takes off with you if so neatrual safty may need ajusted. and are you sure
they gave you rite cable?

Yes, it is drivable. I can actually force the column shifter into Park so I can remove the key but there is a lot of tension in the shift cable and is not really acceptable to turn my wife (or anyone else for that matter) loose with it. It is the correct cable (AC Delco 12458106) for my application. The cable is "adjusted" when the two cable assemblies are connected. It is the first time I have seen this type of assembly. Screwing around with the neutral safety switch won't solve my problem.

I'm sure someone else has been down this path. I believe this shift cable is also used on 97-01 Luminas as well as 97-99 Monte Carlos.

jeffcoslacker
06-28-2011, 06:56 PM
I got mine indexed wrong the first time I pulled the halves apart to spray lube the cable. As I remember, there's grooves on the ends and you just kind of unlock the clip, experiment with it in different positions and lock it back down where it works right. No big deal, just took a little trial and error before I realized which way did what as far as making the cable sheath longer or shorter...

Scrapper
06-30-2011, 10:39 AM
Yes, it is drivable. I can actually force the column shifter into Park so I can remove the key but there is a lot of tension in the shift cable and is not really acceptable to turn my wife (or anyone else for that matter) loose with it. It is the correct cable (AC Delco 12458106) for my application. The cable is "adjusted" when the two cable assemblies are connected. It is the first time I have seen this type of assembly. Screwing around with the neutral safety switch won't solve my problem.

I'm sure someone else has been down this path. I believe this shift cable is also used on 97-01 Luminas as well as 97-99 Monte Carlos.

yes but my son had prbles with tranny had to rebuild it twice. but he's gone now he got killed in milatary in 07. but proud he served.

Gnikhog
08-01-2011, 07:37 PM
Just a follow-up. As it turns out, the new cable can be adjusted (and re-adjusted) as many times as you want. Simply back the adjuster clip out 1 notch, make the adjustment, then push the adjuster clip back in. Unfortunately, my Haynes manual stated: “Once engaged, do not remove the adjuster clip or another new cable set will have to be purchased.” I thought that this meant I couldn’t back out the clip and re-adjust a second time – WRONG! So long as you do not fully remove the clip, you’re golden.

Scrapper- I am very sad to hear about your son. I do hope there is some comfort in knowing that he died committed to helping the rest enjoy the freedoms we do but so often take for granted.

Add your comment to this topic!