99 Windstar SEL vibration at highway speeds

Hit Me Please
06-24-2011, 08:02 PM
I went in for a rear brake replacement (complete) at 114,000 miles and drove out with a strong vibration that shakes the whole van, (no noise occurs) the worst in rear seat and the middle seat shakes so bad that 15 month old son's cheeks are shaking riding in his car seat, front seats shake, you can feel it in steering wheel and door arm rests. I think he is getting shaken baby syndrome. Does not seem that bad under 40mph. All brakes are new and have had another repair shop turn new brake drums trying to remove vibration. Previously had all recalls preformed by Ford, rear axle support kit in place, van did not have corrosion problems, all front struts have been replaced before vibration occurred, wheel bearings are good, replaced rear shocks which made no difference in vibration. Tires have 5000 miles on them and I have had them spin balanced and rotated since vibration and brake job and tire seller says rims and tires are good, not their problem they claim. Yokohama Avid tires. Brake and muffler shop mgr who preformed rear brake replacement does not know how to fix my problem. (They did have to use heat to get rear drums off.) Tire guys keep telling me its not the tires. I am so aggravated, I have put so much money and effort into repairing and rebuilding this van thinking it would be worth it. Now it is basically undriveable on highway.

grog11
06-24-2011, 10:46 PM
Its possible that you have a unbalanced new installed brake drum. Turning the drum again will not test for this.

The brake drum installer shop could have heated and beat the old rear drums off with their 5 lb hammer, damaging the rear hub or rear bearing.

Go back to the original installer shop and tell them you want the hubs checked for run out with their dial indicator and ask them to show you the result as they spin the hub. a zero deviation would be perfect on the indicator.

You have to give the shop a chance to make it right, if they caused the vibration originally with the brake drum replacement. Maybe you could buy the hub and they do a free labor installation, as a compromise.

Hit Me Please
06-25-2011, 07:00 AM
Grog11
Thanks for the new idea, I am not sure they are a reputable brake shop (my first mistake) and do think something was damaged when they were trying to get old drums off. I definitely did not drive in there to get rear brakes with this extreme vibration. After I left their shop, I immediately went on highway to go home and made it one exit and turned around and went back to shop and had the mechanic drive it down the highway with me to experience. They removed rear wheels and replaced a left rear wheel bearing which made no improvement. Both brake shop and tire shop are trying to tell me its Ford's recalls that caused this, recall on rear axle was done months before rear brakes were replaced. I am getting the total run around because I am a woman.

Its possible that you have a unbalanced new installed brake drum. Turning the drum again will not test for this.

The brake drum installer shop could have heated and beat the old rear drums off with their 5 lb hammer, damaging the rear hub or rear bearing.

Go back to the original installer shop and tell them you want the hubs checked for run out with their dial indicator and ask them to show you the result as they spin the hub. a zero deviation would be perfect on the indicator.

You have to give the shop a chance to make it right, if they caused the vibration originally with the brake drum replacement. Maybe you could buy the hub and they do a free labor installation, as a compromise.

12Ounce
06-25-2011, 10:14 AM
Too bad you are not doing the work yourself or have a dependable quality shop.

I don't know how difficult it would be to do the following, perhaps you've already tried it: Swap both the rear wheels and drums from side to side and see if the symptoms change.

(A bent drum is one of many possibilities ... )

Good luck, persevere until its fixed ... it may not be safe.

wiswind
06-25-2011, 01:37 PM
I had a very similar situation happen when I replaced my rear brake drums/shoes on my '96 windstar.
I bought the drums from NAPA, and installed new shoes and all new hardware and adjusters (you can see the process in my pictures).
At speeds above 45mph, I had a serious shake.
I tried rotating the tires, no change.
I tried having my tires re-spin ballanced, no change.
I thought that I might have knocked a wheel weight off.
Then I re-installed my old drums.....and the problem went away.
I took the drums back to NAPA and got my money back.
I bought some Bendix brand drums from Advanced Auto Parts and they were fine.
I think that any brand can put out a defective part from time to time.
I just got unlucky with mine.
I try to buy quality parts, which I hope reduces the chances of a dud part.
I will say that my new drums had me spinning pretty good.

Hit Me Please
06-26-2011, 09:36 AM
Thanks for responding, Ironically I have a repair shop in family. Sometimes you are just better off going to outsiders to avoid stress, got burned this time. Monday I am going to replace drums and see what happens.

Too bad you are not doing the work yourself or have a dependable quality shop.

I don't know how difficult it would be to do the following, perhaps you've already tried it: Swap both the rear wheels and drums from side to side and see if the symptoms change.

(A bent drum is one of many possibilities ... )

Good luck, persevere until its fixed ... it may not be safe.

wiswind
06-27-2011, 08:47 PM
Well, in my case, those same drums could have been installed at a shop....NAPA supplies a lot of shops.
Nothing a shop can do about a defective part coming in the door.
It is also very frustrating to have a NEW part be defective.

Hit Me Please
06-29-2011, 08:54 AM
It seems to be fixed with new drums and new shoes on also. I spent 2 and 3/4 hours (on my 3rd visit) never walking away from my vehicle while on the lift so they could not play games and not replace the drums this time. The second visit to get drums replaced, I walked to Wendys and they never replaced the drums like they claimed.
Third visit, One and a half hours waiting for parts that were supposed to be ordered the day before when I made the appointment. Needless to say I will never go back there! Thanks for all your help.
If anyone has any ideas on fixing a sluggish power door which sometimes does not open at all, you can tell me ideas, not a big deal if it is hard to fix. I can open it without power.
Also have intermittent ABS light on, goes on and off when it feels like it I can live without ABS if it does not cause other problems. Thanks again for giving me the support to fight back and demand repair!!!!

Add your comment to this topic!