Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Our car stops anywhere!!!

crftyldy003
06-24-2011, 03:51 PM
First off let me say that this is our first post and we are really hoping someone can give us some answers. We own a 1995 Lincoln Towncar. It has started to die at various times. Might die while driving, might die while stopped. It dies and then in just 60 seconds or less, it can be started again. We have replaced the computer board and magnetic ignition cam switch and continues to die. Does any one have an answer as to why it is doing this and what else can we replace. Any and all help will be appreciated. Thank you.:screwy:

All2kool
06-24-2011, 07:20 PM
First off let me say that this is our first post and we are really hoping someone can give us some answers. We own a 1995 Lincoln Towncar. It has started to die at various times. Might die while driving, might die while stopped. It dies and then in just 60 seconds or less, it can be started again. We have replaced the computer board and magnetic ignition cam switch and continues to die. Does any one have an answer as to why it is doing this and what else can we replace. Any and all help will be appreciated. Thank you.:screwy:

Wait for it....and the Codes are what?

olopezm
06-25-2011, 07:48 PM
Is the Check Engine Light on? If so you need to have it scanned at any autoparts stores, it's free. That would be the first thing to do or else there are so many possibilities and it can become a money pit in no time just by replacing parts!.

Oscar.

danielsatur
06-25-2011, 09:10 PM
1) Have both the battery + Alternator load tested.
2) Check for loose or corrosion on battery terminals.

Caution - If the battery dies, so will your car!

crftyldy003
06-27-2011, 09:17 AM
We have had it put on the computer at mechanic's garage. They tell us that the 1995's have a "short memory board" and therefore there is no record of anything wrong, they would almost have to have it quit while they were driving it to try and pin point. Thanks for your suggestion, it was a good one, it is just one we have already tried.

crftyldy003
06-27-2011, 09:21 AM
We have replaced alternator and have had battery checked. Also have cleaned the battery cables. Thanks for your response though. It is quite perplexing.

olopezm
06-27-2011, 11:10 PM
When was the last time the spark plugs and wires were replaced?

Another possibility might be a fuel pump going bad. It gets weak with temperature and stops providing enough fuel to the engine. After it cools down it will start working normally; you need to measure the fuel pressure at the passenger side of the fuel rail, there is a test port on it and looks similar to a tire air valve. I will look up the optimal pressure readings and post them here for you.

Oscar.

PS. The short memory board is BS the only way the computer can lose any codes is by unplugging the battery... Sounds like they want to steal money from you!

crftyldy003
06-28-2011, 05:36 PM
ok. my husband says we have had the spark plugs, wires, fuel pump and fuel pump relay replaced, however we have not had the line pressure checked so we would like to have the reading for optimal pressure. My husband wonders if it is possible that there might be some sort of debris in the gas tank and if it vacuum draws against the pump, starves the engine for fuel causing car to stop and then debris falls down into tank and car starts again. Do you have an opinion on that? We appreciate your in put. We have had it to many mechanics and have done what they suggested but nothing has helped so far. Thanks again.

olopezm
06-28-2011, 07:50 PM
There is an in line fuel filter under the car between both doors at the driver side. If it hasnīt been replaced it can get clogged and will cause starvation problems. It can be easily replaced at home, I didn't need to lift the car to replace it. It looks like a big can.

Click here (http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search/Fuel+Filter!s!Water+Separator/02515/C0023.oap?keyword=fuel+filter&year=1995&make=Lincoln&model=Town%2BCar&vi=1188929)

I don't think debris are completely blocking the fuel lines (there is another small filter inside the gas tank) which is called a fuel pump strainer; but it can actually reduce fuel volumen and cause problems.

Click here (http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search/Fuel+Pump!s!Strainer/C0401/C0025.oap?keyword=fuel+filter&year=1995&make=Lincoln&model=Town%2BCar&vi=1188929)

Fuel Pressure with engine running should be 35-45 PSI.

Have you felt the car runs rough, fuel economy has dropped or engine backfires when revved up?

Oscar.

danielsatur
06-28-2011, 08:11 PM
The next time she dies, throw some starting fluid in the throat of the throttle body to
determine if it's a fuel problem.

crftyldy003
06-29-2011, 04:48 PM
fuel pump and strainer have been replaced.

hubby has two questions

1. since memory board has been replaced, would it be beneficial to have a diagnostic run on it again,

2. has information that replacing mass air flow censor might take care of problem.

do you have any thoughts on this. We are sure thankful for your comments.

olopezm
06-29-2011, 05:12 PM
You're welcome.

I understand fuel pump and strainer were replaced, but you don't mention the fuel filter being replaced, I would replace that one too. Look under the rear door at the driver side and there will be a "big can". That's the fuel filter in my previous post you can follow one link with pictures of them.

About the computer, you could try going to autozone and ask the guy to scan your car (it's free) and see if any codes are stored within the memory. If the Check Engine Light on the instrument cluster is not on it is very likely the scanner will say everything is OK.

Replacing MAF sensor is expensive. Before you do that unplug the connector at the MAF when the engine is off and run the car for a while, see if the problem goes away. If it does then get a can of CRC MAF cleaner from any autoparts store and give a good clean to the sensor. you will need a torx bit (not sure what size) to remove the sensor from the engine. Maybe it's just dirty and cleaning it will solve your problem.

Oscar.

danielsatur
06-29-2011, 07:19 PM
Also have the catalytic converters check out, a plugged cat will choke an
engine out.

Add your comment to this topic!