Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Carbon Fiber for FW16 Williams F1

kagero43
06-21-2011, 11:23 PM
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum but been building models (military) for years. I am however new to F1 cars and have tried to search on my question and came up with very little. So here's my newbie question:

I am working on the great fujimi Fw16 kit of Senna's car. I would like to know if the entire lower chassis tub (part C1), including the undersides, was covered in carbon fiber. I have seen excellent model builds of this car and most seem to paint it semi-gloss black. Some pics of a Fw16 I have found on the internet seem to show only parts of the chassis tub with CF. Any help for a newbie would be much appreciated! Thank you

flhansen
06-22-2011, 06:13 AM
Hi

Everything on a F1 car -in general terms- are carbon fibre. On the 1994 FW16 the suspension wa still steel and thereby painted, but the tub, body, wings were carbon fibre. But carbon fibre is looking very different and can be in a lot various sheens and looks. Parts that should be painted semi gloss black are usually carbon fibre in real life. Carbon that will be subjected to airflow will most likely be glossier than parts below the bodywork.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a241/ipms01/GW2006-0016rez.jpg

On this picture of the FW16B from Goodwood FOS 2006 it is possible to see various surfaces of carbon fibre. Rougher inner parts and smooth airflow parts. Note that the blue parts of the bodywork are much lighter than they really are due to the use of flash.

Flemming

kagero43
06-22-2011, 06:36 AM
A picture is indeed worth a 1000 words. Thank you Flhansen for your post! I have not seen such a detailed pic of FW16 interior as your picture! This is very helpful. If its not troublesome, any others of other interior parts of the car would be extremely helpful but this one is really great - thanks again!

jaykay640
06-22-2011, 08:16 AM
Have you seen these yet: http://gurneyflap.com/williamsfw16a.html ?

Add your comment to this topic!