Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help

pas01.1
05-29-2003, 03:51 PM
Hey Guys and Gals,
I am having the worst week possible! :bloated: My 2000 Chevy S-10 with a 2.2 flex has really been giving me problems.
I wake up in the morning and drive about 65 miles to work when after about 40 miles the engine begins to die :( I pull off wait 5min. and restart drive 5 miles and it stops again,restart drive 4 or 5 miles and it stops again. I finally give up turn around and head for home, all along stopping and starting every few miles.
Since then I have changed out the fuel pump,and fuel filter but the problem still occurs the engine runs strong then suddenly stops it feels like its starving for fuel but its not.
There are no problem codes showing and the dealer says that they cant reproduce the problem because they will not drive the truck the 30 or 40 miles needed to stall out.
I have checked all the fuses, fuel lines and gas tank there is no problem that I can see.
Could it possibly be the coil? throttle position sensor? or anything else??
Your help is greatly appreciated and NEEDED any suggestions :rolleyes:

Venger10
05-29-2003, 06:00 PM
Possibly the fuel pump relay is overheating , which will cause it to disconnect fairly regularly after it heats up. I had this same problem with my '89 IROC. Turned out to be a tiny short in the hard wires going back to the in-tank pump was killing the relay in short order.

pas01.1
06-03-2003, 01:49 PM
Changed fuel pump relay but to no avail:( . Problem still exists have since taken to shop and they are baffled also, finally recieved an error code{P1632}but only lasts 10 seconds until computer resets, which makes diagonistics difficult.
This code is a security system error code.
There is no chip in key.
HELP! :bloated:

Venger10
06-03-2003, 03:52 PM
So..after a certain amount of driving , your car thinks someone's stealing it and turns itself off......:bloated:
And what do you mean theres no chip in the key? Theres supposed to be one there and there's not ? or what?:alien:

Flatrater
06-03-2003, 07:28 PM
S 10 don't come with chips in the keys their is a senor mounted around the ignition switch whichs reads the speed of the key turn thru a magnet.

Now your problem has to be one of these components for theft detection: the lock cylinder, the ignition switch, the body control module (BCM), and the powertrain control module (PCM). Or the wiring. My best guess would be the BCM it is the main computer for this system. And I have changed more of these computers than anything else!

Venger10
06-03-2003, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Flatrater
S 10 don't come with chips in the keys their is a senor mounted around the ignition switch whichs reads the speed of the key turn thru a magnet.

Now your problem has to be one of these components for theft detection: the lock cylinder, the ignition switch, the body control module (BCM), and the powertrain control module (PCM). Or the wiring. My best guess would be the BCM it is the main computer for this system. And I have changed more of these computers than anything else!

Since you mentioned that...yes , I have heard of a LOT of problems with the BCM , and apparently not just with the trucks.

Add your comment to this topic!