Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Can't grease tie rod end

imidazol97
06-21-2011, 01:08 PM
Grease won't go through the grease fitting on my 98 leSabre. I took off the zerk fitting and grease goes through. But when I put it back on, grease won't go through? I even left it unscrewed half a turn.

Do I just need a new fitting?

enslow
06-21-2011, 02:30 PM
I had that happen to a year old tie-rod end. I had to take a toothpick and pick out dried up grease from the ball joint itself, as well as the fitting. I'm not sure why, but it seems to need greasing once every 2-3 months. Other cars I could get away with once every 6 months.

HotZ28
06-21-2011, 09:05 PM
In addition, always be sure to wipe the grease fitting totally CLEAN before greasing and don't forget to grease the rear links.

enslow
06-21-2011, 09:56 PM
Good catch Hotz28. I do it out of habit I didn't even think to mention it.

imidazol97
06-23-2011, 09:03 AM
In addition, always be sure to wipe the grease fitting totally CLEAN before greasing and don't forget to grease the rear links.

This tie rod end is on the front. It's been about 6 months since last greasing: car used mostly around the village.

Does something go wrong with zerk fitting that grease would go through when fitting is off the car but won't go through when on the car?

I tried digging into the tie rod end through the opening, and didn't see to have any grease that was dried up.

I am working with the tire on the car, so it's difficult to see.

enslow
06-23-2011, 10:24 AM
Here's a thought. First, is the tie rod end the one right up against the disk brake shield? I can't remember exactly which in is in that location. Anyway, how hot does it get sitting a mere millimetres away from the disk brake shield? Is the grease simply getting baked there? I've had the same thing happen on my wife's car. About every 2-3 months it gets noisy and needs more grease. I think I'm going to get some of those angled nipples so I can shoot grease in there without pulling the wheels every time.

Also, I had to use a toothpick and physically press out baked on grease from both the nipple and inside the ball joint. This ball joint was less than a year old before it was doing this.

Add your comment to this topic!