Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Custom Decals...What Paper ?

wontonkiller
06-19-2011, 07:14 PM
Hey guys looking to do some custom decal work on a porsche GT3 cup car I am working on

I am wondering what paper to use...

Also should I take them to get printed of just try a home photo printer..

Thanks much !!!

MPWR
06-19-2011, 08:54 PM
A lot of that depends on the designs you are trying the print, and the equipment you're working with.

wontonkiller
06-19-2011, 10:07 PM
A lot of that depends on the designs you are trying the print, and the equipment you're working with.

i am looking to make these logos.....

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e102/jeep01xj/Models/Sebring-Le-Mans-Winter-Testing-Kelly-Moss-Racing-Porsche-911-GT3-Cup-front-1429.jpg

and I have a good not great photo printer but i can take it somewere to get printed...

Plumberboy
06-19-2011, 10:38 PM
http://www.pulsarprofx.com/decalpro/

Check out this system. If you don't want to do them dry, you can turn them into waterslide decals. You can also make temporary tattoos too. You can make gold, silver and white decals. You just need a good laser printer.

hirofkd
06-19-2011, 11:07 PM
Photo printers are some kind of thermal printers, aren't they? Or are you talking about the Photo mode of an inkjet? I don't remember any decal paper that's compatible with the thermal printer. If there is, I'd want to use it with my ALPS printer in dye-sub mode.

Most decal papers are for inkjet and laser printers, and the package should say which. I believe today's average inkjet printers outperform affordable color lasers. When printed with an inkjet printer, the decal will be translucent, so you'll have to lay a white background, which is nothing but a white mask of the decal you want to create. For example, the Yokohama decal will be three-layered, a white rectangle cut out from a white decal paper, the red "Y" symbol printed on a white decal paper, and the black area printed on a clear decal paper.

The only tricky part is the white letters (driver name?) on the windshield, but the font looks like the conventional Arial or something similar, so you should be able to find a set of dry transfer letters at art supply stores locally or online.

Add your comment to this topic!