Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

90 caprice leaking coolant

803ChevyBoy
06-19-2011, 01:38 AM
Needed another water pump so I get that now it looks like coolant is coming from timing cover area is this possible? Or maybe the water pump gaskets not thick enough enough or something really need caprice up and running .

MT-2500
06-19-2011, 07:13 AM
Needed another water pump so I get that now it looks like coolant is coming from timing cover area is this possible? Or maybe the water pump gaskets not thick enough enough or something really need caprice up and running .

WHAT ENGINE?

Drop some coolant dye in coolant and run and put the light tester on it and find out where the coolant is comeing out.
Also a hand pump up rad pressure tester will put pressure on system and show up leak.

Places to check are hoses and intake gasket and rad and front freeze plugs and water pump gaskets/back cover or weap hole..
With a rad leak coolant can blow back on front of engine.
With a intake gasket leak coolant can run down on timing cover.
Also can be freeze plugs on front of engine.

Let us know what you find.

silicon212
06-19-2011, 01:36 PM
Verify the installation of your water pump. On the Chevrolet engine, there's no water anywhere near the timing cover, outside of the two water pump flanges. If you're seeing water on the timing cover, it's likely a leak in this area, or a lower radiator hose that's spraying water up toward the timing cover.

If you have a wagon, it will have the Olds 307 engine in it, which has a water pump that bolts directly to an alloy timing cover (that also acts as the rear to the water pump). A leaky water pump gasket, in this case, is the likely culprit.

Since you see the leak after you have replaced the pump, I'd look for loose bolts and/or an improperly installed gasket. Also, check the tightness of the clamp on the lower radiator hose. Don't overtighten. On the Chevrolet engine, the passenger side of the block has an extra hole drilled below the lower water pump flange bolt, for coolant bypass purposes. Make sure you have the proper gasket here.

Add your comment to this topic!