Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 toyota corolla missing on acceleration

cool_69aa
06-18-2011, 08:27 PM
i have a 2000 toyota corolla and i need help. i purchased it with a miss (cheap) and it was missing. first thing i did was try to replace the plugs and wires. well, just the plugs as this has individual coils. this didnt help, and the plugs seemed to be new as well as every coil looked new. so now im suspicioning a fuel pump/filter issue or regulator. any of these common issues? this seems to idle fine but misses on acceleration, especially pulling hills. it seems to run ok "at speed" codes set were random misfire and other misfire codes. injectors ohm tested ok as well. also, i pulled off a plug wire with it running trying to indicate which cylinder was missing, and every one made it run worse, so i couldnt nail down which cylinder was missing.
any help would be appreciated! thanks

Brian R.
06-19-2011, 10:11 PM
Check the resistance of your plug wires. Should be 25 kohms.
Check the resistance of the ignition coils - should be 9.7-16.7 kohms
Check the resistance of the cam and crank sensors
Camshaft position sensor 835-1400 ohms
Crankshaft position sensor 985-1600 ohms
Check the IGT signal from the EMC to the ignitor

cool_69aa
07-06-2011, 08:07 PM
New fuel pump, new fuel filter, and one new coil. Still has a slight miss, only replacing the coil made it any better.
So I had one bad coil, now to put it back on the scanner to figure out where this other miss is coming from.

To the previous reply: this car does not have plug wires, the coils sit directly on the plugs.

danielsatur
07-06-2011, 08:20 PM
Was there a CEL with DTC's?

cool_69aa
07-06-2011, 08:32 PM
Was there a CEL with DTC's?

Cel I believe is check engine light but not sure what dtc is.
I don't own the scanner,i have to borrow it, so I can't check it until this weekend again. When I first posted this I only had a code reader, not a snap on scanner.having the scanner is what helped me determine that the #3 coil was bad, it showed a misfire on cyl #3 so I moved the coil to#4 and then it showed a misfire on #4 so I replaced that coil. Now it did show a misfire in the history on cyl 1 as well, so I will check that this weekend.

danielsatur
07-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Yep - The CEL is a Check Light Indicator when there's a fault.
DTC = Diagnostic Trouble Code, it canbe pulled from any Loacl Auto Parts Store for free. The more data we have, the easier to pinpoint the problem.

jdmccright
07-11-2011, 08:58 AM
Vet out the ignition system first for any bad wires, etc. Then check the fuel system, namely the fuel pressure regulator and injectors. If the pressure is too low, you won't get good combustion from too little fuel. And a clogged injector could cause a poor spray pattern that wets the plug. I'd pull the plugs again and inspect them...they can tell alot about how well that cylinder is running.

cool_69aa
07-20-2011, 09:23 AM
Problem solved, coil #4 and coil #1 were both bad.

Add your comment to this topic!