Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

premacy clutch problem scraping sound

somervillearron
06-18-2011, 04:37 PM
i have a 03 plate mazda premacy 2.0 sport

it has the 5 speed manual and when it is sitting still started you hear a sort of scraping noise coming from the clutch area but when i press the clutch it goes away completely

also though when i change gear it changes smoothly but sounds notchy the clutch and gears feel fine it is not riding on the clutch atall but i know the noise is there and that it may cause me to break down

basicly i think it is the clutch release bearing but i am not sure i would greatly apresiate some help as i dont know what to do i am scared to change the clutch incase thats not the problem

but its like a quiet scraping noise and when the clutch it pressed it goes away and also when driving i dont notice it but it may still be there

also does anyone know how to program the key fob for these cars?

i know this car dosent belong here but the premacy forum looks like nobody goes there

inafogg
06-18-2011, 06:36 PM
i have a 03 plate mazda premacy 2.0 sport

it has the 5 speed manual and when it is sitting still started you hear a sort of scraping noise coming from the clutch area but when i press the clutch it goes away completely

also though when i change gear it changes smoothly but sounds notchy the clutch and gears feel fine it is not riding on the clutch atall but i know the noise is there and that it may cause me to break down

basicly i think it is the clutch release bearing but i am not sure i would greatly apresiate some help as i dont know what to do i am scared to change the clutch incase thats not the problem

but its like a quiet scraping noise and when the clutch it pressed it goes away and also when driving i dont notice it but it may still be there

also does anyone know how to program the key fob for these cars?

i know this car dosent belong here but the premacy forum looks like nobody goes there

it does sound like the throwout bearing,if it is, i doubt it will leave you stranded. how old is the clutch??sorry no help with the fob

somervillearron
06-19-2011, 06:59 PM
i am not sure how old the clutch is we didnt long buy the car

but it has 168k on the clock but the car has been looked after there is receipts for services ever 4000 miles

i am unsure

i cant find a bearing anywhere all i can get is the whole clutch and also cant find a haynes manual so i can fit the bloody thing

i was told the bearing can wear away so much it can pop through and the clutch will hit the flooor.so is that wrong then?

the bite isnt went high up or anything it is quite a low bite and the bite is the same as my friends and his has no problems

thanks for replying so quick

Scrapper
06-19-2011, 07:09 PM
i am not sure how old the clutch is we didnt long buy the car

but it has 168k on the clock but the car has been looked after there is receipts for services ever 4000 miles

i am unsure

i cant find a bearing anywhere all i can get is the whole clutch and also cant find a haynes manual so i can fit the bloody thing

i was told the bearing can wear away so much it can pop through and the clutch will hit the flooor.so is that wrong then?

the bite isnt went high up or anything it is quite a low bite and the bite is the same as my friends and his has no problems

thanks for replying so quick
no problem shifting rite? no smell of the clutch? if so i'd say throwout bearing drying up. you have to take tranny out then you can look at clutch but sounds like throwout to me.

somervillearron
06-19-2011, 07:15 PM
how easy is the throwout to replace do i need the clutch out in this car?

gears change fine sounds little clunky now

its my mums parters car i have smelled the clutch one time but i think its because he rides on the clutch all the time he isnt a good driver he always rides on the clutch pulling away at first i thought it was the clutch nearly going but i tried it and noticed its him riding on it

but could smell clutch slighly on one occasion

inafogg
06-19-2011, 08:32 PM
how easy is the throwout to replace do i need the clutch out in this car?

gears change fine sounds little clunky now

its my mums parters car i have smelled the clutch one time but i think its because he rides on the clutch all the time he isnt a good driver he always rides on the clutch pulling away at first i thought it was the clutch nearly going but i tried it and noticed its him riding on it

but could smell clutch slighly on one occasion

its a long shot but (older)bearings had a grease fitting.sounds like her friend riding the clutch is'nt helping.i'd say leave it be until its worse
or pull trans & replace the clutch assembly ie... p/plate,clutch,bearing
also checking pilot bearing

good luck

somervillearron
06-22-2011, 12:14 PM
well thank you for your help i am very greatfull......i have reasonable knolege of repairing cars i have changed everything but a gearbox and clutch how hard is it on a front wheel drive car?i had a look at another car today and it looked easy but ive been told the drtive shafts need disconnected so do u know what else needs disconnected i know the gearbox has to be seperated then just bolt everything off then back on basicly is what am thinking basicly just doing the completely reverse putting it back on.......how hard is it but considering i am a pretty compitent mechanic i have changed head gaskets and stuff i have learned basicly everything from a haynes manual and if i have one of those i am great at following instuctions so if i had a manual i could do it no probs but there is no workshop manuals for these cars i know about

inafogg
06-22-2011, 07:16 PM
sorry but my search came up with nothing.everything but the premacy
as far as your plan,sounds good maybe putting a jack or support under
the oil pan.would'nt think its any harder than most cars.
make sure you ck pilot bearing.bushing in center where trans nose goes into

good luck

Add your comment to this topic!