Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 Cavalier instrument cluster lights

BudMcGregor
06-17-2011, 02:04 PM
I replaced my broken instrument cluster with one I got at a junk yard. The 'new' one has the LED indicators working but the incandescent ones don't light up. I checked the fuses in the fusebox on the dash and all appear to be OK. Can anyone tell me if there is a fuse or some other replaceable component somewhere else? Thanks in advance.

orkel
06-25-2011, 09:43 AM
I take it be incandescent ones, you mean the dash lights.
I had the same problem, and did the same thing you did. The replacement I got from the junk yard had only one side of instrument panel being lit. I took it back, and they replaced it for free.
Seems the illumination lights are hard wired in to the cluster, and can only be changed with great difficulty. The yard told me that this was a common problem with these cars, and they do not usually sell these clusters because of this.
I would take it back and have it replaced

jdl
06-25-2011, 10:32 AM
At the instrument cluster connector, gray wire is voltage, black wire is ground. Use a voltage tester. Also, the radio/instrument lamp fuse, should be hot all the time.

Because the bcm sends voltage for the instrument illumination, there might be a trouble code? Have the codes checked.

Add your comment to this topic!