COP & Plugs

RJLipscomb
06-15-2011, 09:29 AM
2006 LS V8
I'm looking for suggestions, recommendations and sources for replacing my COP and spark plugs. Motorcraft? Duralast? others...

danielsatur
06-15-2011, 10:37 AM
If it works, don't fix it!
Plugs should last 100K, and only replace COP's as needed.

RJLipscomb
06-15-2011, 03:23 PM
If it works, don't fix it!
Plugs should last 100K, and only replace COP's as needed.

That is the same advice offered by the Lincoln service rep. He replaced #8 COP about two months ago. Now, #2 needs replacement. When the LS was in the shop, I was overseas. I asked the service tech if all should be replaced. he said no, just replace what is bad. The LS has 86k miles on it.

But, the cost seems to be weighted towards inspection, diagnostic and removal of the covers. The COP's and plugs are all exposed at that time. Why not save the money (long term) and just get it over with? Not that removing the cover is all that difficult.

The suggestion was made on this website to replace all COP's and plugs at the same time. While you're at it. Don't get me wrong, I like to save money. But, I want my LS to run like it was new, preventive maintenance.

joegr
06-15-2011, 04:48 PM
That is the same advice offered by the Lincoln service rep. He replaced #8 COP about two months ago. Now, #2 needs replacement. When the LS was in the shop, I was overseas. I asked the service tech if all should be replaced. he said no, just replace what is bad. The LS has 86k miles on it.

But, the cost seems to be weighted towards inspection, diagnostic and removal of the covers. The COP's and plugs are all exposed at that time. Why not save the money (long term) and just get it over with? Not that removing the cover is all that difficult.

The suggestion was made on this website to replace all COP's and plugs at the same time. While you're at it. Don't get me wrong, I like to save money. But, I want my LS to run like it was new, preventive maintenance.

I agree. Once they start to fail, it is better to just go ahead and replace all of them at once. I think that the newest revision Motorcraft COPs are the way to go.

danielsatur
06-15-2011, 05:44 PM
Depending on Age + mileage, you might consider COP cover gaskets, Spark plug boss seals, and valve cover gaskets.

If the COP's go bad it's usually because of oil or water contamination.

joegr
06-15-2011, 06:47 PM
Depending on Age + mileage, you might consider COP cover gaskets, Spark plug boss seals, and valve cover gaskets.

If the COP's go bad it's usually because of oil or water contamination.

Actually, COPs usually fail due to an internal failure of the epoxy they are potted with. Ford even admits this in the extended coil warranty letter. The 2004 to 2006 LS have very little trouble with leaky valve cover gaskets or water.

(The extended COP warranty only applies to the 2003 to 2005 LS, and only the V8 at that.)

danielsatur
06-15-2011, 07:33 PM
Guarantee after 100k miles + time the rubber seals, gaskets, and plastic will go bad.

We have fixed and cleaned bad COP's with electrical cleaner, replaced boots, and sealent for cracks.

joegr
06-15-2011, 07:56 PM
Guarantee after 100k miles + time the rubber seals, gaskets, and plastic will go bad.

We have fixed and cleaned bad COP's with electrical cleaner, replaced boots, and sealent for cracks.

That certainly will happen here and there. However, my 04 with 140K miles is still fine on the original valve cover gaskets, and my 06 at 80K miles is still leak free too.

I think that it's quite possible to get 200K or more out of the gaskets, but some may fail before 100K. In the 70's, you were doing good to get 50K out of a set of cork valve cover gaskets. Materials have improved since then.

RJLipscomb
06-16-2011, 05:50 PM
I replaced #2 with a Duralast COP from Autozone, $45 +/-. It was pretty simple, a little challenge with the rear/lower fastener. Removed the screws holding the wiring bracket to get a little more room. The closed end 7mm wrench worked fine, just a lot of 1/4 turns. No contaminants. Back together in about 10 minutes, total time = 30 minutes... Runs good.

I will look for the Motorcraft COP's and plugs so that when the next one goes, I'll replace all of them at the same time... (even the Duralast).

danielsatur
06-17-2011, 09:03 AM
You probably saved $450 by DIY, also check ebay for COP's by the bunch.
When it's time for spark plugs consider NGK Iridium plugs.

JTsmks
07-04-2011, 03:33 PM
I replaced mine with (V6) ebay COPs (BIG MISTAKE) and Autolight (another mistake) Lot's of info on sites on Autolight vs Motorcraft...made side by side yet are of different quality...as far as the COP's I went with BWD's w/lifetime warrenty for $52 each at Advance Auto. E-bays lasted 6 months and began to fail one after the other.

RJLipscomb
08-12-2011, 09:49 AM
I replaced mine with (V6) ebay COPs (BIG MISTAKE) and Autolight (another mistake) Lot's of info on sites on Autolight vs Motorcraft...made side by side yet are of different quality...as far as the COP's I went with BWD's w/lifetime warrenty for $52 each at Advance Auto. E-bays lasted 6 months and began to fail one after the other.

JT, just to clearly understand...

You replaced the original COP's with generic brand ebay?
You replaced the original spark plugs with Autolite?

After the ebay COP's started to fail, you replaced those with BWD's from Advance Auto, correct?

Thanks

JTsmks
08-12-2011, 10:08 AM
Yes, that is correct...I used the ebay COP's that were about $12 each...they went one after the other about 6 months later. I replaced with the BWD's from Advance Auto for about $53 each and they carry a lifetime warrenty. There is only one of the 6 ebay ones still hanging on on the car (when I put the ebay ones on I also replaced the valve cover gaskets to prevent any oil leak COP failure issues) I would NOT reccomend the cheap ebay ones.

JTsmks
08-12-2011, 10:11 AM
My car now has new V cover gaskets, motorcraft platinum plugs and BWD COP's. (except for one ebay COP on the easy to get to side...I'm just seeing how long that one will last) Also when the cheap COP's failed there was no oil on the boots at all

Add your comment to this topic!