Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

losing coolant and its pissing me off

carguy9927
06-12-2011, 12:23 AM
I have an 01 Grand Prix GT with 164,000 miles on it and tonight for the first time my low coolant light came on then went back off while driving. I checked the radiator and there wasnt much in there so I went and bought some and filled it up. Then I was driving the car on the highway and the light came on again then went off. Does anyone have any ideas what could cause this? :banghead:

tblake
06-12-2011, 09:01 AM
Common leak spots on your motor include the Lower Intake Gaskets, tensioner bypass elbows, water pump, and the Upper intake manifold. Check near the injectors and the 90 degree elbows on the passenger side for coolant. There are 2 elbows, one is hard to see without removing the alternator.

danielsatur
06-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Don't forget to check your electirc fans, after you get the pluming fixed.

FISH96
06-13-2011, 07:20 PM
you state you are a tech and very good at it. do you not have access to a cooling system pressure tester? this item will allow you to pinpont the leak. noted the year of your automobile and the mileage you may also have seepage at any of the crimped metal seams on the plastic tanks of the radiator.
it goes without saying, do not exceed the system's operating pressure limit with the tester. give the tester time and you will find the leak. good luck be patient, a good inspection mirror and a bright inspection light would be of great value with this task.
some of the items mentioned earlier in the thread are very slow leakers ie the cooling. elbows.

carguy9927
06-22-2011, 09:33 PM
you state you are a tech and very good at it. do you not have access to a cooling system pressure tester? this item will allow you to pinpont the leak. noted the year of your automobile and the mileage you may also have seepage at any of the crimped metal seams on the plastic tanks of the radiator.
it goes without saying, do not exceed the system's operating pressure limit with the tester. give the tester time and you will find the leak. good luck be patient, a good inspection mirror and a bright inspection light would be of great value with this task.
some of the items mentioned earlier in the thread are very slow leakers ie the cooling. elbows.

Thanks guys for your help. I dont think its the intake because it only leaves a little bit on the ground, and before I got the car the whole intake was replaced. When I stop somewhere I only notice a tiny bit. It's probably something small.

richtazz
06-25-2011, 11:58 AM
If it's on the passenger side, it's the coolant passage elbows or water pump. Both seep as they start to leak, then get progressively worse.

Jrs3800
06-25-2011, 12:53 PM
We have seen some issues with the Elbows after a replacement.. Look at the location of the elbow coming out of the manifold.. You may have a leak there... If there is no evidence at all, Have a look at the weep holes on the water pump..

olopezm
06-25-2011, 07:37 PM
I agree with the elbows or water pump too, the elbows are on the tensioner asembly in case you don't know.

I would suggest you to take a look at the radiator passenger side cover, mine started to leak right below the filling neck and the result was a low coolant light everytime I started the engine, it would go away after a few seconds. One final possibility is the sensor has some goop on it. It's not that common but I've seen it in the forum. Members only cleaned it or replaced it.

Oscar.

Add your comment to this topic!