Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How to bypass a/c compressor? 95 Lesabre

chubcobear
06-10-2011, 07:00 AM
I had my a/c compressor fail . Maybe because a/c condenser fan was not coming on and we had very hot days?
How do I bypass the compressor so that I can have heat this winter? I understand that the compressor runs whenever heat/cold controls are on. Is it possible to have heat without a/c compressor running? Thanks.

maxwedge
06-10-2011, 07:50 AM
Disconnect the electrical connector, no? No effect on the heater.

chubcobear
06-10-2011, 08:24 AM
Thanks Maxwedge. I was laboring under the misconception (I guess) that the compressor ran all the time and the blend controller over the glove box
balanced the temps with heat from the heater core and a/c air.

Scrapper
06-10-2011, 08:32 AM
Thanks Maxwedge. I was laboring under the misconception (I guess) that the compressor ran all the time and the blend controller over the glove box
balanced the temps with heat from the heater core and a/c air.

if you want to bypass air call and see if you can get a belt without air. or have you figured out another way?

chubcobear
06-10-2011, 09:22 AM
No, Scrapper, I will take maxwedge's advice and disconnect the wires at the compressor. That seems like the proper solution until I can afford a new a/c compressor, condenser fan and relay, etc.

HotZ28
06-10-2011, 11:41 AM
I had my a/c compressor fail . Maybe because a/c condenser fan was not coming on and we had very hot days?
How do I bypass the compressor so that I can have heat this winter? I understand that the compressor runs whenever heat/cold controls are on. Is it possible to have heat without a/c compressor running? Thanks.I hope you have the radiator/condenser fan control problem corrected. The compressor will not engage in the heat mode. It may cycle off/on during defrost mode to help control humidity. You have nothing to worry about. :)

chubcobear
06-10-2011, 02:48 PM
I went ahead and disconnected the connector at the clutch just to be sure that I don't squeal and smoke the clutch anymore. HotZ, the heat/A/C controls were working perfectly before the compressor clutch decided to smoke out. I had fixed the controller several months ago by installing a new one behind glove box. Lots of contortionists fun. Thanks to all. I will get a new compressor installed when I can afford it.

Scrapper
06-11-2011, 06:33 PM
I went ahead and disconnected the connector at the clutch just to be sure that I don't squeal and smoke the clutch anymore. HotZ, the heat/A/C controls were working perfectly before the compressor clutch decided to smoke out. I had fixed the controller several months ago by installing a new one behind glove box. Lots of contortionists fun. Thanks to all. I will get a new compressor installed when I can afford it.

even upuged may go for awile or any time it will lock up so i thing you better get a compressor one as so has you can.

good luck.........

HotZ28
06-11-2011, 09:54 PM
I went ahead and disconnected the connector at the clutch just to be sure that I don't squeal and smoke the clutch anymore. HotZ, the heat/A/C controls were working perfectly before the compressor clutch decided to smoke out. I had fixed the controller several months ago by installing a new one behind glove box. Lots of contortionists fun. Thanks to all. I will get a new compressor installed when I can afford it.If you install a new compressor, don't forget to replace the orifice tube & accumulator/drier, otherwise the compressor warranty will be null & void! If the orifice tube is found to be clogged, the system should be flushed before the new compressor & other parts are installed. I think Scrapper may be thinking the clutch hub bearing may be seizing, which is possible. If so, and until you get the new parts, you should install an A/C bypass pulley assembly with a shorter belt to eliminate the compressor. BTW, what year is you're LeSabre?

Scrapper
06-12-2011, 11:04 AM
If you install a new compressor, don't forget to replace the orifice tube & accumulator/drier, otherwise the compressor warranty will be null & void! If the orifice tube is found to be clogged, the system should be flushed before the new compressor & other parts are installed. I think Scrapper may be thinking the clutch hub bearing may be seizing, which is possible. If so, and until you get the new parts, you should install an A/C bypass pulley assembly with a shorter belt to eliminate the compressor. BTW, what year is you're LeSabre?

yes zzzzzzzz if you look back i told him to get a belt without air on belt.

polarzak
06-13-2011, 05:40 AM
You can also pull relay, i pull mine during winter, dont need compressor kicking in just for floor&defrost burning more fuel:screwy: back in for summer" need that AC:) lol

You may have been lucky. That is a great way to have your compressor seize up from non use.

maxwedge
06-13-2011, 07:27 AM
you may have been lucky. That is a great way to have your compressor seize up from non use.
remember the compressor will not engage below 40 degrees anyway.

polarzak
06-14-2011, 05:39 AM
remember the compressor will not engage below 40 degrees anyway.

Maybe on some vehicles, but I saw it engaged on my 07 GM when it was about 20 degrees. I was filling my windshield washer and noticed the clutch engaged, and thought, what heck is this. It is winter. After a little research I found the compressor runs in defrost mode (mine was on defrost that day) and it runs in defrost for two reasons:
1. To provide dehumidified air to the windshield
2. To avoid compressor seizing during winter months from non use.

big white bufflo
06-14-2011, 06:31 PM
dorman makes a pully that bolt right in the old location of the compressor work great i put one on my 92 3yr ago

Jrs3800
06-18-2011, 01:31 PM
yes zzzzzzzz if you look back i told him to get a belt without air on belt.

This would be a 73" Belt... But there is only one problem... there is a Torque axis mount in the way... The belt will be incredibly close and actually chaff the belt...

If the Pulley bearing is making no noise, I would run it till I got the new compressor..

Jrs3800
06-18-2011, 01:32 PM
dorman makes a pully that bolt right in the old location of the compressor work great i put one on my 92 3yr ago

Next to replacing the compressor this would be a good option...

Scrapper
06-19-2011, 10:59 AM
You may have been lucky. That is a great way to have your compressor seize up from non use.

i wont hurt it if he's going to rellace shortly maybe if he waited a year.

Jrs3800
06-19-2011, 11:24 AM
The pulley bearing is not the common mode of failure... It can happen, but you are going to have some not so pretty signs before it will....

If the compressor locks up or gets extremely hard for the engine to drive it, then the clutch connector can be unplugged( the AC Compressor Relay can also be disconnected )... a compressor thats bad internally does not mean the Clutch bearing is bad...

maxwedge
06-19-2011, 12:26 PM
The pulley bearing is not the common mode of failure... It can happen, but you are going to have some not so pretty signs before it will....

If the compressor locks up or gets extremely hard for the engine to drive it, then the clutch connector can be unplugged( the AC Compressor Relay can also be disconnected )... a compressor thats bad internally does not mean the Clutch bearing is bad...

HMM, 19 posts and we wind up with the same solution as post # 2. LOL

boscoe168
08-01-2011, 07:15 AM
Just had the clutch on my ac seize.Change to a by pass pulley now the radiator fans run all the time afraid I'm goint to burn them out PLEASE HELP

big white bufflo
08-01-2011, 05:38 PM
my 92 did not have that trouble is the controls calling for ac that could be the issue because that turns on the fan when in normal only one fan turn off and on to cool in ac both fans cool you could use a switch to turn them on and off

Add your comment to this topic!