Replacing the front Windshield Glass

searcherrr
06-10-2011, 02:54 AM
Cannot get an inspection sticker without replacing the front windshield glass. How hard is it to do this and is it worth doing myself? I imagine you just remove the cowl and some other trim huh? Gonna need new trim? Special glues/adhesives?

Are all Windstar front glass windshields the same shape? I think they all have the same frame body, so wouldn't that mean all year windshields are the same?

Thanks!

Windstartled
06-11-2011, 03:14 PM
It depends on your definition of "hard", the job is definitively tricky. Removing the cowl and the trim is the easy part. Trim is made from a pliable material and not glued on so it pulls out readily, if it's still in good shape you may reuse it over the new windshield. There's no caulking to speak of but the glass is glued on the frame with some sort of rock-hard urethane epoxy that you need to cut through with windshield wire or a specialized tool.

Erik2002Winnie
06-12-2011, 08:16 PM
not worth it imo.

you are talking under 200 to have it done.

unless you know what you are doing, you will likly leak and you will spend close to as much

searcherrr
06-29-2011, 12:10 AM
Thanks guys. I'll probably have a glass shop do it. Some things just aren't worth DIY.

12Ounce
06-29-2011, 07:00 AM
Be sure to call your insurance guy ... some states require insurance companies to replace windschields even though you have only "liability" insurance. Considered a safety item and good for all the motoring public. So you may get it for "free" ...or at a reduced cost.

Add your comment to this topic!