Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fuel pressure regulator?

SsHaDyGt
06-09-2011, 08:33 PM
Hi all,

I have a 93 wrangle 4.0L

The jeep has been having trouble starting, it will turn over for longer than it should and sometimes won't start until hold the key on for a few turns. After it starts, it runs fine.The issue occurs regardless if the engine is cold or hot.

I had tested the fuel pressure with a pressure tester at the rail and found that there was no pressure when the key was in the off position (is this normal) I then also found there to be no pressure after turning the key and hearing the fuel pump prime for a few seconds.

I did a tune up plug wires cap rotor fuel filter and I even changed the fuel pump.

I haven't been able to test the pressure again after changing the fuel pump but the jeep is still having the same starting issue.

I'm going to test the pressure again but I am leaning toward a faulty fuel pressure regulator.

Is there supposed to be pressure in the rail at all times?

Thanks

fredjacksonsan
06-15-2011, 08:19 PM
Lots of posts on here about fuel issues at startup. Most are cured by turning the key to the on position and letting the fuel pump run for a few seconds until it stops; but it sounds like you have already done that.

I'd agree that checking the fuel pressure regulator makes sense. I don't know if it's spec'd to have fuel pressure when off; IMO pressure would bleed down over time.

inafogg
06-15-2011, 08:45 PM
i'd recheck fuel pressure,especially for a leak down.it sounds like the system is bleeding off to much/to fast.i would not condem pressure regulator.

Add your comment to this topic!