Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Brake Pedal Going to the Floor

WayneMann
06-08-2011, 09:13 PM
Hi guys,

My mother has a 97 Chevy Blazer with ABS and she has had issues with the ABS light coming on ocasionally. The local Chevy dealer checked it out and found nothing wrong and reset the system (whatever that means). Over the last two days she has had the brake pedal to go all the way to the floor while in a parking lot moving at very low speeds. Once while turning and once while going straight. The brake pads and shoes are in very good shape and I can't find anything wrong. It acts like the ABS is detecting a skidding tire and it (the ABS system) is releasing the brakes. What kind of test can I do or how do I go about finding the problem with the ABS system?

EDIT: I just saw the post below about the same problem. will remove the ABS fuse and see if it happens again.

Thanks in advance

Wayne Mann

j cAT
06-09-2011, 06:20 PM
Hi guys,

My mother has a 97 Chevy Blazer with ABS and she has had issues with the ABS light coming on ocasionally. The local Chevy dealer checked it out and found nothing wrong and reset the system (whatever that means). Over the last two days she has had the brake pedal to go all the way to the floor while in a parking lot moving at very low speeds. Once while turning and once while going straight. The brake pads and shoes are in very good shape and I can't find anything wrong. It acts like the ABS is detecting a skidding tire and it (the ABS system) is releasing the brakes. What kind of test can I do or how do I go about finding the problem with the ABS system?

EDIT: I just saw the post below about the same problem. will remove the ABS fuse and see if it happens again.

Thanks in advance

Wayne Mann

The abs valves may be worn out/ leaking...removal of the fuse may stop this. If it does then you should get the codes pulled to see what is the problem on the abs coming on for no reason..this would be the front sensors as they are a very poor design and prone to failure..

the ABS unit itself has valves that leak internally causing pedal to drop to the floor.. most get a used scap yard unit...

WayneMann
06-09-2011, 07:47 PM
Thanks j cat. I pulled the 10 amp brake fuse inside the fuse box on the left side of the dash to test and see if it was the ABS pump that was the issue, but that also killed the cruise control. I read via a google search that there is also a green fuse under the hood that will dissable the ABS system, but I can't find any intel that tells me where the green fuse is. Any ideas?

Thanks again.

Wayne Mann

j cAT
06-09-2011, 09:46 PM
Thanks j cat. I pulled the 10 amp brake fuse inside the fuse box on the left side of the dash to test and see if it was the ABS pump that was the issue, but that also killed the cruise control. I read via a google search that there is also a green fuse under the hood that will dissable the ABS system, but I can't find any intel that tells me where the green fuse is. Any ideas?

Thanks again.

Wayne Mann

disconnect the abs pump 12volt connector to the pump ...this is under the hood on the passenger side correct ? large sized wires red/blk 12 guage..abs fuse should be more than 10 amps.

j cAT
06-09-2011, 09:50 PM
put that 10 amp brake fuse back in ..

WayneMann
06-09-2011, 11:02 PM
Hi j cAT,

I will put the 10 amp fuse back in and unplug the connector to the pump which is on the drivers side on this year blazer.

Thanks

Wayne Mann

j cAT
06-10-2011, 07:28 AM
Hi j cAT,

I will put the 10 amp fuse back in and unplug the connector to the pump which is on the drivers side on this year blazer.

Thanks

Wayne Mann

I have a 1994 s10 PU 4X4... the ABS front sensors are rusted up and the pickup coils rusted open.. many of these vehicleowners have had to remove the power connections to the ABS pump component..what can and does happen is the brakes suddenly fail all to often because of the defective GM design with this model. I believe there is no fuse that just goes to this unit like my 2000 silverado has...removing the connectors to the abs is required .. post back good luck.

Add your comment to this topic!