Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

difference between thermostats?

ZiggyPA
06-07-2011, 11:53 AM
For the 91 PA Rockauto lists a whole bunch of different thermostats. I want to get a Gates (same warehouse) but what is the difference between a "regular thermostat - reverse poppet" and "premium thermostat - superstat"?:confused:

y2kpa2
06-22-2011, 10:29 PM
i do not think it makes a difference just as long as the temp is the same as o.e.m 195 if you want gates go to a napa store near you

HotZ28
06-22-2011, 10:52 PM
I prefer the Stant SuperStat over the regular/conventional reverse poppet. BTW, they may not have a NAPA store in Holland. :disappoin
Stant Premium Thermostat; Unlike conventional thermostats that continually open and close to achieve the proper operating temperature and flood the engine with coolant, the Stant SuperStat® thermostat has a patented v-notch, non-linear design that reduces cycling by precisely metering the amount of coolant needed to maintain proper operating temperature. The v-notch provides a small inital flow. As the engine heats up, the v-notch gradually opens wider, metering coolant into the system until the desired engine temperature is reached.

The high strength stainless steel flange is burnished to a bright finish for additional stress relief and added corrosion resistance.

Jrs3800
06-25-2011, 12:50 PM
I agree and also use the super stant...

ZiggyPA
07-10-2011, 01:53 PM
I got the superstat, it was only like $1 more anyway.
But I can't get the thermostat housing to open. Those 2 bolts are ridiculously tight. It seems I'm either gonna break the wrench or the bolt...
Or is there some trick to this?

Also the bolts are different sizes. The rear one is 3/8" but what size is the front one? It seems a bit loose for 10mm metric but it's no 3/8" (equals to 9,5mm) what is it if it's not a 10mm?

Add your comment to this topic!