Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Vacuum Canister?

MAD King
06-06-2011, 05:08 PM
Hello,

could please someone tell me the exact name of the vacuum canister that controls the vents, what is placed under the left from fender?
I lost that canister and not able to find it with "vacuum canister" online at the parts stores.

Lumina 1998 3.1

Thank you

maxwedge
06-06-2011, 07:17 PM
Might be called vacuum storage tank, but I believe this is a dealer part anyway.

MAD King
06-06-2011, 07:23 PM
Thank you. Found it. It is called vacuum storage canister. Available from Dorman.

Mediaman67
06-20-2011, 08:31 AM
Hi All - if this is broken, would I get good heat out the floor duct, but hardly anything out of the vents when I switch the control to VENT... or is there somewhere else I should look.

Thanks so much!

MAD King
06-20-2011, 08:40 AM
Hi All - if this is broken, would I get good heat out the floor duct, but hardly anything out of the vents when I switch the control to VENT... or is there somewhere else I should look.

Thanks so much!

Exactly what was happen with mine. Look for a leak. The vacuum canister is under the left front fender, or at least should be. :uhoh:

Mediaman67
06-20-2011, 08:51 AM
and also AC? I assume same vacuum for both vent and AC?

Mediaman67
06-20-2011, 08:54 AM
one other question - how did you access it? from under the car, or from the air box, and then down? from inside of engine compartment?

Where did that hose connect to?

Thanks

jeffcoslacker
06-20-2011, 04:58 PM
The vents default to hi/low (defrost and floor vents) when vacuum is lost. Doesn't matter if it's seat on heat or A/C.

There's a vac line that runs to the vac reservoir that is susceptible to getting pinched or broken when replacing the battery...it sometimes ends up in the way and gets trapped under it or disconnected.

I'd look there first if it may have been a possibility...

teegolf
07-19-2011, 10:28 PM
Canister is accessed from below the car. The Dorman model is not a OEM replacement and you will have to modify mounting in order to install it.

dinok
08-14-2011, 05:36 PM
you can find it if you take left driver side wheel off and get that plastic protection guard, and those lines are really easy to brake, so you can buy fro autozone or other part stores the lines to replace.
If you can find another one of those vacum canister form junk yard, or dealer, it's easy thing to replace.

Add your comment to this topic!