Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

passlock or cylinder 98 Malibu

gmcman101
06-06-2011, 03:47 PM
My girlfriends Malibu just started having this issue and so here I am. The ignition cylinder works fine sometimes but there are times when she tries to turn the car off and it only goes as far back as ACC and she can't take the key out of the ignition. I'm checking to see if this would be a passlock issue or just a bad ignition switch cylinder. I though maybe spraying the key with some WD would do the trick but it didn't. I've read that a lot of cars won't start because of the system failure but this is not the case, starts and runs fine, just cant take out the key. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks, Bill

gmcman101
06-20-2011, 01:39 PM
Well, I guess no answer is better then the wrong answer.

Thanks guys...

Johnny R
06-20-2011, 07:26 PM
The thing that comes to mind is what happens to me from time to time. I turn off the engine without putting the car in Park first. Absent minded, not paying attention. Key won't come out, of course. But your GF is much smarter than that ...

procaddytech
06-21-2011, 08:17 PM
Yes. Make sure it is in park. If it is and the key still won't turn back flick the shifter release button on the shifter. (If it has a floor shifter) Sometimes the switch in the shifter that unlocks the cylinder goes bad and if flicking it (letting it snap back into position repeatedly after pulling it in) allows the key to turn back you have found the problem. Seeing as how it works fine sometimes I doubt it is the cylinder or housing. It is most likely the park release switch in the bottom of the shifter.

gmcman101
06-22-2011, 10:44 AM
Thanks guys. I never do drive her car but but I have in the past and when I did, that never happened to me. I didn't even think of that...

Thanks again,

Bill

gmcman101
06-27-2011, 03:51 PM
Just wanted to say thanks again procaddytech. That's what it is, the switch somewhere in the shifter is sticking but pushing the button does do the trick. Kind of feels like some WD-40 somewhere might do the trick. I'll get to it one of these days.

procaddytech
06-27-2011, 07:29 PM
No problem gmcman! I am happy it worked, no parts required. If you take the shifter knob off and spray WD-40 down inside the shifter shaft where the plunger rod sticks out it will help keep it working for a while. Pry the metal u-shaped handle retainer out, pop the shifter handle off, spray and flick a few times to work the WD in and put the handle back on. Sometimes it not a bad switch, just a sticking part.

Add your comment to this topic!