2005 Tucson V6 sludge

drdrew33
06-06-2011, 11:27 AM
I just did my first oil change on a recently purchased 05 Tucson. I noticed when I took the oil cap off there seemed to be a lot of sludge in view in the motor, I cleaned what I could. My question is has anyone ever used Seafoam in one of these Hyundai engines, and if so, how were the results? I used to use it in My 99 Rodeo and was amazed at what came out during oil changes.

DSHornet
06-11-2011, 01:20 PM
I recommend using Seafoam, or any other cleaner, with extreme caution. The last thing you need is for the cleaner to knock loose a big piece of sludge that then plugs up an oil passage and starves a bearing or the valve train of lubrication.

If it was cold weather, I would suggest using a high quality 5W-20 oil at the next change, run it on the highway for an hour or two, and drain/refill using a Hyundai OEM filter. Since it's summer (in the northern hemisphere :wink:), using 10W-30 might be a better idea. Let the detergents in the oil work for you.

Don't expect a quick, easy fix to the problem. It might take months and several oil changes to clean up the mess.

Add your comment to this topic!