Page updated on 07-22-2018

painting window trim

is250
06-06-2011, 01:34 AM
hi folks,
a small tip which may help in painting window trim, which i have always had a problem with.
1) i used tamiya masking tape
2) i used a GellyRoll black pen (gel/ink - sakura, japan) - available at art stores, both medium/fine tips

pretty decent results, took total of only a few minutes.

since i don't have an airbrush, i have masked/handpainted, and usually the paint seeps under the tape somewhere. this doesn't seem to happen with the ink, which dries nicely, and masking tape comes off easily from as well.

would love some feedback/experience others have had with this. hope this picture shows up okay.

thanks.

sk

crisjr
06-06-2011, 06:29 AM
In my opinion you got a nice result, but if i'm not wrong, this should be painted with flat black, what i think will be hard to find a flat black pen.

But.. seems fine to me .. anyway.. :)

modelfan
06-07-2011, 10:42 AM
Cris is right, if you can find a way to dull the black it would look better. Cool idea though, thanks for sharing!:naughty:

is250
06-09-2011, 11:38 AM
Cris is right, if you can find a way to dull the black it would look better. Cool idea though, thanks for sharing!:naughty:

thank you both for your comments. it seems that the gel/ink dried a more matte black then it initially appeared, i'll post a picture when i can.
regards,
sk

markiii
06-11-2011, 12:29 PM
I have been using Sakura gel pens for years detailing instrument panels and heat staining effects on metalized surfaces.

Add your comment to this topic!