89 cavilier, dare ya to figure this out

OdinStrife
06-05-2011, 05:23 AM
got a 89 z24, I love the car... but im ready to put it in a field and see how many pieces I can blow it into, the engine will start to choke out like its not getting air at between 2500~3k rpms in which the car will continue running but will not accelerate. This happens in 1,2 and 3rd gear, can not reach 4th. Main issue is that this makes it so my top speed is about 40 and it takes me almost 1/2 mile to reach 40. I have checked the ecm, and had the vacum lines checked, I believe it is a power issue because if I hit my hazards as I am driving and nearing the "kill point" on my tach the car will jump everytime the hazards blink. I have also replaced the fuel relay and fuel filter and I dont believe its just crap in the tank because it will do it regardless of how much gas is in the tank. I have also run enough injection/engine cleaner through it in the last 2 months to sinks a fleet of battle ships. If anyone can help me I would apprieciate it, I work on cars with 2 mechanics and have taken it to 3 shops and NO one has been able to solve this, any sggestiong are welcome.

metallica21156
09-18-2011, 04:32 PM
its possible to try a different battery. had mine doing weird things for a while. a/c would work but then wouldn't. fan would click on and off and engine would rev up and down. even after turning a/c off. battery died about 4 months later and since replacing all the problems have gone away. ive also put about 4 o2 sensors in it and 3 computers so anything is possible. you need to get it connected to a tech 2 scanner and see what the computer sees.

Schaff68
09-23-2011, 03:55 PM
its running in fail safe, you need to get the codes read, somehow it got tripped into fail safe . were you revving the engine with no load on it befor this or banging through the gears

maxwedge
09-24-2011, 09:40 AM
No fail safe on an 89 Cav. basics here, check fuel pressure, also possible blocked cat.

Tech II
09-24-2011, 09:46 AM
3 shops?:screwy:

I agree with Maxwedge....check for a blocked cat...

Mangoamerican
09-25-2011, 10:17 PM
i would check your ground going to the body. put another on the firewall.
you could put your hazards on and do a voltage drop from the battery negative to a bolt on the firewall.. if you can see it fluctuating you have a bad ground

Ohwhell1
12-31-2011, 11:01 AM
Ive read on other sites that the cat is blocked on it. and the cracked the bolts between the cat and the pipe and it worked. also was told to get the cat with four ports not the OEM one it will clock up to. also with that being replaced you need to get new O2.
Same people posted after that they ended up with same problem 2 months later (the O2 was making to rich and burned up the new CAT......

Add your comment to this topic!