Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 Savana with coolant in oil

banana24
06-04-2011, 02:27 PM
My cargo van is a 99 Savana with a 5.0L and only about 50,000 miles(in storage for the most part over the years). Late last winter after running the engine for a while I noticed coolant on the ground, and when I pulled the dipstick I had the classic "milkshake"...showing I have an internal as well as external leak.

I have read all over the web about the Dexcool issues in regards to gaskets(particularly the intake manifold). I purchased this vehicle used, did a coolant flush on it last summer before developing the leak in the winter(wondering if the previous owner had a leak and just used some sort of sealer...which got flushed out???).

Anyway, my question is, is there a definitive way of determining whether or not the leak is coming from a blown intake OR head gasket(or both?) on this engine model?

I removed the engine covering and observed a pretty good stream of coolant coming from the passenger-side/rear of the engine...but I could not determine the exact location of the leak. I have already purchased a fel-pro intake manifold set, but if it turns out to be the head gasket instead....it may be a job I am incapable of doing myself.

Would a simple coolant pressure test do the trick to know for sure where the leak is coming from...or perhaps a combustion leak test/other?

Thanks.

rhandwor
07-10-2011, 01:47 PM
If your capable of doing the intake you should be capable of doing head gaskets.
You can pull the spark plugs and look for signs of anti freeze on the plugs.

inafogg
07-10-2011, 03:24 PM
have you done a compression test??if pressure are ok across all cylinders this would
suggest an intake leak. if 1 or 2 are not up to specs then a head gasket is leaking

MikeS144
07-11-2011, 08:10 AM
Yes yes YES! do a compression test. If you don't own a compression test kit, go buy one. On the spark plug test, if you have a leaky intake gasket, chances are you will find water on a plug as well. I went down that road with my van thinking it was an intake gasket but it was fine. I had a blown head gasket.

Add your comment to this topic!