Gear change jerks: Battery issues

car_forum_user
06-03-2011, 12:48 AM
Hello,

I have an automatic transmission 98 Accord. I woke up today morning to a weakly charged car battery. Had to do a jump-start. The battery seemed to be getting charged as I drove around, since I managed to turn the car on again after some time.

By the evening, however, the battery was again down. So had another jump-start. However, this was accompanied by exaggerated jerks when gears were changed.

*I just wished to check if these jerks are explained by the weak battery*? After having driven the car a while, the jerks became less pronounced, which points in the affirmative, but still would be helpful to know your comments.

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks a lot !

jeffcoslacker
06-08-2011, 09:49 PM
Could be, I guess. If the battery has an internal shorted plate or something, which is common when they act like yours is, it may be affecting the tranny control unit's ability to work right, or it may have even scrambled it or the PCM's memory and it is having to relearn shift points after you jump start it.

All you can do is test/replace the battery and see how it goes, really. I'd bet the tranny trouble goes away though....

car_forum_user
06-08-2011, 11:03 PM
Thanks for your reply.

I changed the battery a few days ago.

For an initial few hours after replacing the battery, I was having some issues:
- While the engine was turning on now, it was immediately dieing, unless I pressed the accelerator hard for a few seconds.
- The exaggerated jerks were still evident on shifting the gears.

However, there are no such issues right now.

jeffcoslacker
06-09-2011, 08:55 AM
That's good...it does sound like it's idle speed and shift point memories got wiped. Usually they'll relearn pretty quick after you drive them a bit.

Add your comment to this topic!