Spark plugs for 99 Rodeo

blackrodeo
05-31-2011, 04:41 PM
Good afternoon,

I'm here again to seek some advice and learn. I thinking of changing the spark plugs of my 99 Rodeo V6 and would like some advice from you guys. Which kind of spark plugs should I use and what are the tips that you can suggest for a home mechanic like me on changing the spark plugs?

Thanks in advance guys!!!

Cat Fuzz
05-31-2011, 04:57 PM
The 99 Rodeo does not need a certain type or brand of spark plug. I run Autolites and they always serve me well. Exotic plugs are a waste of money except in the case of platinum tips. The platinum helps the plugs last longer (this is the ONLY benefit). Do not gap platinum plugs as you will damage the platinum coating. One thing on changing plugs is never remove plugs from a hot engine. Before removing the plugs, blow compressed air into the well to get any debris out that might fall into the cylinder. Carefully thread in the new plugs by hand, turning them several times before using a ratchet to tighten them down. Don't over tighten. Use anti-seize on the new plug threads to make sure they don't come out fighting next time. The number six plug by the power brake booster is a little tricky. You may have to drop the spark plug socket down in there with a 3 inch extension attached, then add another extension on top of that with the ratchet. You may have heard that the #6 coil is different or something about "ion sensing". 99 engines have neither of these features.

Add your comment to this topic!