Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

OBDII Codes C1770, C1790, C1818 and C1850

QCubed
05-31-2011, 04:07 PM
My 98 Windstar Limited has air suspension in the back. Lately, it would be sitting low in the back before starting it up in the morning. The compressor would pump it up as soon as you fired up the van. And the rest of the day would be fine. The other day, the warning light for the air suspension came on, and the compressor has not worked since. Fuses and power connections all seem okay. OBD codes B1323, B1428, C1770, C1790, C1818, C1830 and C1850 were in the system. Is anyone here familiar with these codes and therefore what the problem may be? Meanwhile, the winnie is now a lowrider! (Hmm ...!) Thanks to all who reply!

olopezm
05-31-2011, 07:10 PM
I didn't know Windstars had air suspension, I learned something new today.

C1770 Air Suspension Vent Solenoid Output Circuit Failure
C1790 Air Suspension LR Air Spring/Shock Solenoid Output Circuit Failure
C1818 Air Suspension LR Air Compress Request Exceeded Max. Timing
C1850 Air Suspension Warning Lamp Circuit Failure

I'm not familiar with the system but I would start by checking the connectors at each solenoid (there should be one on top of each air spring/shock) and at the compressor itself. I know in my lincoln (with air springs) it is a common problem for the vent solenoid to stick due to corrosion and cause the car to ride high.

I'm guessing the last two codes have been triggered because of the first two so I would focus on the connections to make sure they are clean and tight.

Oscar.

QCubed
06-01-2011, 03:15 PM
Hi Oscar:

Only the Limited models had the air suspension, and then, only in the back. Thanks for your input. I will give that a try, and post again. Anyone else have any other thoughts on this one?

QCubed
06-06-2011, 02:51 PM
Bump. Anyone else?

olopezm
06-06-2011, 08:36 PM
You're welcome!

Did you check the connections?

Oscar.

QCubed
06-10-2011, 09:04 PM
Hi Oscar: Now also getting Codes B1323, B1428 and C1830. My mechanic took a look. He says we need a new compressor and relay. Ford does not make the compressor anymore. We will have to look into aftermarket or interchangeable parts. I'll post more when I have an update. Thanks for your help!

QCubed
10-08-2011, 03:51 PM
As an update for future readers of this thread, even after much research, I did not find any aftermarket for a new compressor or other compressor I could interchange with, without modification. There are a number of sources for rebuilt units. And after fixing the compressor, it was only a matter of time before the airbags, lines, or solenoids for the air ride system failed. So to avoid future problems, we have converted to a coil spring suspension. My thanks again to Oscar (Olopezm) for your help!

olopezm
10-08-2011, 07:46 PM
Hi!

I'm sorry to hear that; I wish I could have done something else to help you.

My only guess is that if things started to breakdown at the same time, the original problem (causing everything) must have been water in the system; the air dryer must have been damaged or very saturated.

Best regards,

Oscar.

Add your comment to this topic!