Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Ferrari F40 LM & F40 Competizione

Vladamor
05-31-2011, 11:16 AM
Hi.

I was just watching and listening to some videos of the F40LM at Youtube, and now I'm wondering... why not to build one??

Then I searched in HLJ for one, and found these.

F40 LM:
http://www.hlj.com/product/FUJ12308

F40 Competizione:
http://www.hlj.com/product/FUJ12387

The fact is both looks the same. So, can anyone tells me the differences between those two?? From what I can see, are exactly the same.

I hope you can help.

THANKS & Cheers

ZoomZoomMX-5
05-31-2011, 12:57 PM
Read the headers very carefully. The more expensive kit has photoetch included. Otherwise same kit.

Vladamor
05-31-2011, 01:32 PM
Yes I know. I'm not asking about the box content, if one is better or not. I mean, is one more racing focus than the other or something like this? Those real cars are the same then?

Helico
05-31-2011, 07:05 PM
These two kits are identical except the second link shows a newer package. Both of them have the same PE set (quite limited in terms of detail).

Here is an even older package but with the same stuff otherwise (including PE): http://cgi.ebay.com/Fujimi-1-24-Ferrari-F40-LM-12105-/120722295231?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1b9c09bf#ht_1527wt_905

I think it is more appropriate to call this kit "LM" rather than "competizione". A competizione version is more like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Tamiya-1-24-24284-Ferrari-F40-Competizione-Monte-Shel-/250818635274?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a65f4a60a#ht_3388wt_905

These two versions differ in several areas (at least with respect to what's in the box): spoiler, width/fender, front lamp, front and rear bumpers, rims and a couple this and that. Fujimi kit is a curbside by the way.

hirofkd
05-31-2011, 11:19 PM
Fujimi's latest F40LM kit (now re-labeled as F40 Competizione) has a different PE set most likely made by KA Models, and the difference is apparent for it has an additional instruction with photos.

Off the top of my head, the LM was meant to be a race car, but only a few actually raced, and the rest went to collectors. The actual racing F40s are production based ones (with some racing parts originally developed for the LM) that competed in Italian GT championship (like the Tamiya's Monte Shell kit) and JGTC (like Fujimi's Taisan Starcard F40). Then there are fully race-prepped F40GT and GT Evoluzione that raced in BPR, Le Mans etc., and those are kitted by MFH and S27.

Vladamor
06-01-2011, 02:58 AM
Fujimi's latest F40LM kit (now re-labeled as F40 Competizione) has a different PE set most likely made by KA Models, and the difference is apparent for it has an additional instruction with photos.

Off the top of my head, the LM was meant to be a race car, but only a few actually raced, and the rest went to collectors. The actual racing F40s are production based ones (with some racing parts originally developed for the LM) that competed in Italian GT championship (like the Tamiya's Monte Shell kit) and JGTC (like Fujimi's Taisan Starcard F40). Then there are fully race-prepped F40GT and GT Evoluzione that raced in BPR, Le Mans etc., and those are kitted by MFH and S27.

THANK YOU!!

Those kind of things were what I wanted to know. So, the kits are mostly the same, but the real cars not. The Tamiya Monte Shell is out of production, that's why I look Fujimi's....

HELICO, thanks for your info too!!! So, since the Tamiya is Out of Production, the best choice will be the Competizione.

Thank you very much.

CHEERS

tifosi16
06-01-2011, 06:07 AM
The Fujimi kit is the standard roadgoing version with just a new body that is 80% correct for a LM version. To build an accurate LM you need to modify a LOT of parts, engine, interior, seats, exhausts etc etc. The bonnet scoop is too shallow, you see where I am going...

Only 19 LM's were ever prepared by Michelotto, which were all sold to privateers.

A couple of GTE's were built which was a further evolution and raced at LeMans etc as said above. Also build by Michelotto for Ferrari.

Technically the 'competizione' never existed. Cars like the Tamiya Shell one, were standard road going F40's that were privately modified.

I am currently doing a LM that (hopefully) will be accurate, look out for the WIP I'll have up soon...

Ciao!

Vladamor
06-01-2011, 11:00 AM
The Fujimi kit is the standard roadgoing version with just a new body that is 80% correct for a LM version. To build an accurate LM you need to modify a LOT of parts, engine, interior, seats, exhausts etc etc. The bonnet scoop is too shallow, you see where I am going...

Only 19 LM's were ever prepared by Michelotto, which were all sold to privateers.

A couple of GTE's were built which was a further evolution and raced at LeMans etc as said above. Also build by Michelotto for Ferrari.

Technically the 'competizione' never existed. Cars like the Tamiya Shell one, were standard road going F40's that were privately modified.

I am currently doing a LM that (hopefully) will be accurate, look out for the WIP I'll have up soon...

Ciao!

Hi friend!

Yeah, normally with a Fujimi model you need to correct a lot of things. Since I don't have the kit already I can't compare...

I've found a site where they sell the Monte Shell yet. May I suppouse to think that the Tamiya Monte Shell is better than the other two??

Oh, I'll look forward to see your LM soon.

Thanks for your answer anyway. I'll keep looking.

CHEERS

speedphreak
06-01-2011, 12:13 PM
I have this model to make. The window section behind the B pillar is a pain in the butt. There is a huge gap if you look inside with the windows in place. How can I correct this?

tifosi16
06-01-2011, 02:29 PM
I have this model to make. The window section behind the B pillar is a pain in the butt. There is a huge gap if you look inside with the windows in place. How can I correct this?

Funny for you to mention this, as I was fiddling around with it last night, figuring it out.

The easiest way is to glue a triangular piece of plastic card into the body, where the gap will be once the windows are in, and paint it black, as this bit on the real car forms part of the blacked out section above the rear 3/4 window. Once painted it should be invisible.

Give me another night or 2 or 7 to fine tune it, and I'll post a pic for you once I've got it...

Food for thought in the mean time...

pb4007
06-01-2011, 05:56 PM
Hello Vladamor, check out here (http://www.modelcars.com/exotic-car-model-kits-page2.html). They have pretty cheap F40's. Not sure if they have the one you're looking for, but I hope this helps.

Helico
06-01-2011, 06:42 PM

Ouch, my bad. I wasn't looking hard enough (sloppy:icon16:). That sure looks like a better PE set than the old one.

speedphreak
06-02-2011, 07:53 PM
Funny for you to mention this, as I was fiddling around with it last night, figuring it out.

The easiest way is to glue a triangular piece of plastic card into the body, where the gap will be once the windows are in, and paint it black, as this bit on the real car forms part of the blacked out section above the rear 3/4 window. Once painted it should be invisible.

Give me another night or 2 or 7 to fine tune it, and I'll post a pic for you once I've got it...

Food for thought in the mean time...

Thank you very much!!! This has kept me from painting the car. I really appreciate it!

till.a.fischer
06-03-2011, 03:40 AM
I have the Monte Shell car on the shelf and would like to pint out one thing:

The Monte Shell car has a standard roadgoing body, prepared for racing - just like the original car.

The Fujimi kits have a totally different body - more like the Michelotto-built F40LM or GTE: wider body, different rear wing....

Vladamor
06-03-2011, 07:30 AM
I have the Monte Shell car on the shelf and would like to pint out one thing:

The Monte Shell car has a standard roadgoing body, prepared for racing - just like the original car.

The Fujimi kits have a totally different body - more like the Michelotto-built F40LM or GTE: wider body, different rear wing....

Yeah that's something I've noticed, and I didn't knew it. I suppouse I'll buy the Monte Shell version and the Fujimi Competizione... It will be great to join both and make a super model, ha ha ha... Nah, just dreaming...

CHEERS

Add your comment to this topic!