Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

AC Unit+Cooling

grandprix18
05-31-2011, 11:09 AM
I have a 1999 Pontiac grandprix GT Coupe. Mind condition. garaged. 58k. 2 years ago I felt like the AC unit was blowing warm air. mechanic checked for leaks, nothing found. He charged the AC system with R13?. System was fine, blew cold air for a few months.

Last summer, system starting to blow air again, not cool. tested for leaks, nothing. System was full , no charge needed

Now this summer I am having the same issue.It will blow cold at nite when its 70 degrees out but in the daytime 85 degree heat, it feels like air just blowing, not cool air

Compressor is fine, I hear it kick on +off

Any ideas what the issue may be?

thanks!

GTP Dad
05-31-2011, 02:34 PM
Welcome to AF!!

Have the charge in the system checked again. I suspect that the system is low on refrigerant again. R134 doesn't hold up as well as the old R12 and has a tendency to leak out over extended periods of time even though you use the system.

grandprix18
05-31-2011, 02:37 PM
great, thanks for the feedback+info!

brcidd
05-31-2011, 04:43 PM
Last summer, system starting to blow air again, not cool. tested for leaks, nothing. System was full , no charge needed

thanks!

How do you know? The only way is to recover and weigh refrigerant...

You have a leak- shaft seal is number one location-- find and fix your leak and evac and recharge to factory spec.

Add your comment to this topic!