Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Headlight issue

moliva1568
05-29-2011, 05:16 PM
I have a 98 Cavalier and have been experiencing headlight issues. The headlights don't come on when turned on and the only lights working are the daytime running lamps. The high beams work but they don't stay on unless i hold the lever back. Any suggestions? I took out the bulbs and they don't appear to be blown yet. I believe the daytime running lights run of the same bulbs as the lowbeam. Why would one work and not the other?

Mike2009
06-11-2011, 10:56 AM
In my experience this is due to a bad ground. I would start by making sure that there is 12v at the lights on one side because they are ground switched. If there is then it's most likely the nasty little ground splice under the battery. This tends to go bad from water and windshield washer fluid dropping on it.

To fix mine I ran a new ground between both lights and then back to the switch in the dash. The original wire was too far gone to save. This has worked well. This was also the fix on another j body for the headlights and the daytime run lights not working. It was just another ground.

As far as the lamps go the bcm lowers the voltage to the high beams and used the high beam lamp for drl. The drl and low beam share a ground back to the switch.

Hope this helps.

Add your comment to this topic!