Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

blower motor testing

jerry1967
05-29-2011, 08:56 AM
I have 2003 Buick Lesabre 3800 engine. For a while I could kick under the dash on the passenger side and the blower fan would come on. Now nothing happens.

How do I tell if the problem is the resister or the blower motor?

Is there a way to test the blower motor before I buy one?

imidazol97
05-29-2011, 10:53 AM
I have 2003 Buick Lesabre 3800 engine. For a while I could kick under the dash on the passenger side and the blower fan would come on. Now nothing happens.

How do I tell if the problem is the resister or the blower motor?

Is there a way to test the blower motor before I buy one?

If it were the resistor on the basic model or the electronic control on the Limited, you'd have different symptoms: the fact that it reacted to vibration getting the brushes back in contact with the commutator worked for a while is the telling factor.

Your blower motor most likely has worn the brushes out or one is sticking in its channel. Just replace the blower and be happy.

Scrapper
05-29-2011, 03:43 PM
If it were the resistor on the basic model or the electronic control on the Limited, you'd have different symptoms: the fact that it reacted to vibration getting the brushes back in contact with the commutator worked for a while is the telling factor.

Your blower motor most likely has worn the brushes out or one is sticking in its channel. Just replace the blower and be happy.

i agree on getting motor and fix it rite..

jerry1967
05-29-2011, 07:27 PM

thank you I will try and tackle the job tomorrow and let you know the out come.

brcidd
05-29-2011, 09:54 PM
Kicking blower motor IS the test to determine if blower motor is worn out--yours is worn out-- replace it.........

Scrapper
05-30-2011, 05:38 PM
Kicking blower motor IS the test to determine if blower motor is worn out--yours is worn out-- replace it.........

yes you kicked it for the last time huh? lol.... just like a starter and a hammer.

good luck.....

jerry1967
05-30-2011, 07:28 PM
Well I took the motor and fan off and tested it and they tested good. So I hooked the wires up to the car and the fan ran on all speeds. So I guess it is working now but I am afraid if I put it back on it will stop again.

By the sounds of everybody I should just get a new one. I was hoping to save some money but guess that is out of the question.

brcidd
05-30-2011, 09:22 PM
steel toed shoes?

imidazol97
05-31-2011, 06:43 AM
I was hoping to save some money but guess that is out of the question.

Since you've had it out and it now is working, you can put it back in and see how much mileage you get out of it before it stops again.

Did you check the connector for overheating and corrosion? That's a low possibility. I don't see that mentioned after the first couple of years on this model (2000-2001).

You don't have much to lose other than the time it took you to take it out and put it back in. And now if it does fail, you're a pro and can do the job in half the time? Grin!!!

I'd shop around for the replacement. I found nobody stocked them in the big box stores locally except Autozone despite their being a failure item in Bonnies and leSabres. I went to one of two locations which had them in stock on my way to a car show that afternoon. $139. Apparently they tried to keep one at each store. If it sold, then they had to wait for a replacement in their regular shipment.

Check prices on Rockauto and look online for discount code for 5% off. I've found Rockauto to be quick on delivery.

brcidd
05-31-2011, 06:55 AM
If your 2003 blower motor is silver--- get ready for a hassle---you need to buy the adapter ring that it mounts to because the replacement blower rmotor will mount differently. I lost about 4 hours trying to find the proper blower motor- finally googled it and found the adapter part number on my silver OEM replacement.

RockAuto has footnotes describing this god awlful replacement procewdure.

That adapter ring ($29 at dealer) is a real PITA to replace.

imidazol97
05-31-2011, 10:41 AM
If your 2003 blower motor is silver--- get ready for a hassle---you need to buy the adapter ring that it mounts to because the replacement blower rmotor will mount differently. I lost about 4 hours trying to find the proper blower motor- finally googled it and found the adapter part number on my silver OEM replacement.

RockAuto has footnotes describing this god awlful replacement procewdure.

That adapter ring ($29 at dealer) is a real PITA to replace.

My 2003 did not need that. The Autozone replacement went in perfectly.

brcidd
05-31-2011, 10:49 AM
It's a midyear changeover thing---silver was the key-- VIN will confirm

jerry1967
06-01-2011, 07:02 AM
My 2003 did not need that. The Autozone replacement went in perfectly.

Did the replacement you used have the adapter ring on it?

jerry1967
06-01-2011, 07:10 AM
I took it out and tested it and everything worked fine so I put it back in and I found out the connection is loose. I am going to use the one I have until it stops again but still looking for a replacement.

imidazol97 said the one he got from autozone worked fine so I am going to look at theirs.

brcidd
06-01-2011, 07:46 AM
Is your blower motor silver? That is the key- if silver, you need the adapter

Mine was silver.

Mine from Autozone- would not fit-- I actually took it back, raised cane-- until I learned of the adapter ring. Autozone was clueless- had no notes on it-- but just look it up in any parts catalogue....

,BLO(W/IMPLR) WHEN REPLACING BLOWER MOT W/FOAM GASKET, WILL ALSO REQ USE OF BLOWER MOT BRACKET P/N 88957446 T/W 3 BOLTS 89018611; w/A/C FRT AUTO/AUX CONT(CJ2) or A/C FRT ELEC CONT(C67

jerry1967
06-05-2011, 04:11 PM
I put it in and it stoped again so I took it out and it started running when I played with the connection.
I am trying to find a new one now. I have a silver one so I guess I need to go to a dealer and get the adapter and then go to autozone buy the one they have.

I would like to find one at a junk yard but no one has any.

imidazol97
06-05-2011, 06:23 PM
I put it in and it stoped again so I took it out and it started running when I played with the connection.
I am trying to find a new one now. I have a silver one so I guess I need to go to a dealer and get the adapter and then go to autozone buy the one they have. .

IIRC my 2003 had a silver metal base. But the Autozone blower fit right in.

Scrapper
06-06-2011, 10:08 AM
I am trying to find a new one now. I have a silver one so I guess I need to go to a dealer and get the adapter and then go to autozone buy the one they have.

I would like to find one at a junk yard but no one has any.

have you tried picapart.com?

Add your comment to this topic!