Squeal noise at the top of the engine..I *think* it's the compressor...

kool5000
05-28-2011, 01:31 PM
Hello all. First time poster here. Vehicle: 2002 Chevy s10, 2.2 ext cab LS. Auto tranny, 60,000+ miles.

For the past couple of months or so, I've noticed a light squeak noise turn into a heavy squeak noise, particularly when in drive, accelerating in 1st gear, and coasting in 3rd gear. When the truck is idling in drive OR in park, the squeak can barely be heard, and when in neutral, hardly at all.

After a belt replacement, THEN a belt tensioner replacement (just the tensioner), the squeak went away for about 2 days, then returned.

When I've sat the car in park and revved the engine up from under the hood, I can faintly hear it coming from the compressor area. When I attempt to use the a/c, I don't get cool or cold air from any vent.

When I turn the a/c on from inside the truck, I hear the compressor attempt to fire up for about a half second, but no cool air.

What could be the problem here? A buddy of mine said it may just need to be recharged, but I'm afraid that if I recharge it, it may damage it due to another problem being the cause.

There's also a light coolant drip from the front end of the truck. The radiator had a good level, but the reservoir level was visibly decreasing. This morning, I added coolant to the reservoir, and I noticed a larger puddle (about an ounce or 2) of coolant on the ground...which makes me believe the reservoir has a crack.

What are your opinions of this? Would the leak and the squeal be related somehow??

Any help is greatly appreciated! :biggrin:

rprough
05-28-2011, 03:49 PM
Its possible they are related. It could very well be the water pump bearing giving you your squeal noise. If you take your belt/belts off, you can grab each component and see if you can wiggle the pulley back and forth and check for play. Shouldnt have any play. All the problems your having certainley add up to it being the water pump. There is a hole under the water pump bearing to check for any fluid leakage.

MT-2500
05-29-2011, 03:22 PM
Hello all. First time poster here. Vehicle: 2002 Chevy s10, 2.2 ext cab LS. Auto tranny, 60,000+ miles.

For the past couple of months or so, I've noticed a light squeak noise turn into a heavy squeak noise, particularly when in drive, accelerating in 1st gear, and coasting in 3rd gear. When the truck is idling in drive OR in park, the squeak can barely be heard, and when in neutral, hardly at all.

After a belt replacement, THEN a belt tensioner replacement (just the tensioner), the squeak went away for about 2 days, then returned.

When I've sat the car in park and revved the engine up from under the hood, I can faintly hear it coming from the compressor area. When I attempt to use the a/c, I don't get cool or cold air from any vent.

When I turn the a/c on from inside the truck, I hear the compressor attempt to fire up for about a half second, but no cool air.

What could be the problem here? A buddy of mine said it may just need to be recharged, but I'm afraid that if I recharge it, it may damage it due to another problem being the cause.

There's also a light coolant drip from the front end of the truck. The radiator had a good level, but the reservoir level was visibly decreasing. This morning, I added coolant to the reservoir, and I noticed a larger puddle (about an ounce or 2) of coolant on the ground...which makes me believe the reservoir has a crack.

What are your opinions of this? Would the leak and the squeal be related somehow??

Any help is greatly appreciated! :biggrin:

Yes and no.

Do you hear the noise with the AC of or just whe ac on?

Coolant on a belt can cause a squeal noise/belt slip.

As to The water/coolant lose pressure test the coolant system and look for leakage.
If ac no cool make sure clutch is not slipping and check for low charge with a low and high pressure gauge.
Post back your pressure readings.
Report back what you find.

kool5000
06-07-2011, 05:55 PM
Yes and no.

Do you hear the noise with the AC of or just whe ac on?

Coolant on a belt can cause a squeal noise/belt slip.

As to The water/coolant lose pressure test the coolant system and look for leakage.
If ac no cool make sure clutch is not slipping and check for low charge with a low and high pressure gauge.
Post back your pressure readings.
Report back what you find.

I hear the noise with the A/C off. I haven't ran the a/c since last fall.

I think I've figured out the leak. I let the reservoir run empty, and haven't experienced a leak since. The radiator coolant level has remained consistent.

I'm thinking coolant somehow got on the belt. I'm going to replace the belt ASAP and report back any findings.

4x4 blazerguy
06-07-2011, 08:57 PM
I have a 97 Blazer 4x4. I have had problems with NAPA Gold belts. They work great for sometime then they start to squeal sometimes. I know it is the belts because I have checked everything with the belt off. I have talked with a friend of mine & he has had trouble with NAPA Belts also. I'm not sure who is making their belt now but I would find out & not buy whatever brand is making their stuff. (ie: Dayco, Gates, Goodyear, etc.)

rprough
06-26-2011, 06:32 AM
Might want to check the aligment of your pulleys also.

Add your comment to this topic!