1995 Chrysler LeBaron power steering pump

95Chrysler
05-26-2011, 12:24 PM
I have been trying to get this '95 LeBaron ready for my sister to drive around and am getting very tired of working on the thing. The last order of business was/is swapping the power steering pump pulley, as somehow the old one had completely shattered.
Removing the pump was not very hard, since the pulley was shattered, it was only about a tenth of it's normal size. Now my problem is, I can't get the pump back in with the pulley attached. In my Haynes manual, it says to unbolt the exhaust pipe from the exhaust manifold and push the pipe to the driver's side for clearance. Well, I took that a step further, and completely removed the pipe from the pipe tunnel, and I still for the life of me can't get the pump/pulley to fit back into place, now the exhaust manifold is what's keeping it from going in, unless there's certain way the pump has to be positioned that I am not seeing. The only other solution I see is to remove the bolts from the driver's side mount and the front mount (which have both been replaced already, along with the driver's side cv axle and many other things) and try to force the engine forward enough so that the pump/pulley will clear the face of the exhaust manifold. I have done extensive searching and I come up with nothing. I have checked and double checked that I got the right pulley from the parts house, my first guess was that I had the wrong pulley and that it was too big, but since I do not have another pulley to go by, all I know is that the part number I got matches the part number at the supply house.

Any insight or tips on this situation is greatly appreciated, I have never seen the removal/installation of a power steering pump be as extensive as this one.......Thanks in advance!

jozhua5
03-16-2012, 06:30 PM
Its been a year now so I guess you got the problem solved. I lost my power steering pump pully on I-30 going 60mph. I had to drop the front right drive shaft to gain access to putting the pump back into the car. Still having trouble getting all the bolts in. Not enough room for my big fingers..

jamesslcx
03-17-2012, 08:25 PM
That's when having a lift and a nice big garage would be handy.

jozhua5
04-04-2012, 03:29 PM
Got the new pump installed. Had to drill a hole in the sidewall to get that one back bolt in. Not enough room, don't ya know.

Add your comment to this topic!