Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cheap Air Compressors

dudez316
05-28-2003, 10:14 PM
Does anybody know if a cheap $15 air compressor from a hardware store could be attached to an airbrush?

(THIS IS THE AIR COMPRESSOR I AM TALKING ABOUT)

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/flyyourflag/mvp250psimin.html

I think theyre designed to be used for pumping up tires and sports equipment, but is there a way that an airbrush could be attached to them.

Murray Kish
05-28-2003, 10:33 PM
Nope. At least not without some sort of tank hooked up to it.

Although they're capable of delivering alot of pressure, they do it v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y.

If you had a holding tank of some sort, you could hook this up and get it to build up the pressure in the tank. It would likely take 20 or 30 minutes to fill the tank, but then you could spray from the tank (you'd need a regulator).

Murray

dudez316
05-28-2003, 10:50 PM
THANKS FOR THE INFO. But do you know of any cheap air sources for airbrushes besides spare tires. Thanks

Murray Kish
05-28-2003, 10:58 PM
A spare tire is really about the cheapest. You could use that little compressor to fill up the tire, and then supply your airbrush from the tire. You'll find that it'll take about 30 minutes to fill the tire, and you'll be able to empty it in about 10 minutes of spraying.

Those little things are usually pretty noisy too.

I don't know of a 'cheap' compressor that will supply an airbrush directly. The only thing I can think of is to look on ebay for a good deal on a hobby-specific compressor that's tailored to airbrushing.

Goodluck.

Murray

Vric
05-29-2003, 10:44 AM
buy a barbecue Tank. Buy a air regulator and some adapter.

Fill your tank and use your airbursh.. this is how I use mine.. cost about 30$

kadler18
05-29-2003, 02:28 PM
Go buy this at Walmart for $89.95 - has pressure regulator and an automatic on off for tank pressure. Have used this for two years and have no complaints. Simply discunnect from your air brush and use it in the garage also!

This is the only site I found this at that I could link.

http://acmehardware.com/product_detail.aspx?sku=6240212

Add your comment to this topic!