98 3.8 power loss when hot outside

jwebb37
05-24-2011, 10:00 AM
Last summer my Windstar would lose power mainly when going up the smallest of inclines. It would spit and sputter and if I put the gas to the floor nothing. If I were to turn it off for a minute and then start it back it will run fine for a little while but then start it up again. Winter comes along and no issues. Now since hot weather has started this year the problem is back. Any ideas. Also the check engine does not work.

olopezm
05-24-2011, 12:24 PM
I'm guessing you mean the check engine light doesn't wors. What's wrong with it? Have you checked the fuses to make sure they all are OK?.

I would disconnect the harness to the MAF; with the engine off disconnect it and start the engine (it might stall, just try again) and drive for a while to see if the problem goes away. If it does then giving it a good clean with MAF cleaner is the first option, if it still doesn't helps then a new one is in our list...

Oscar.

jwebb37
05-24-2011, 02:38 PM
Ok, I disconnected the harness for the sensor and attempted to drive it. When I cranked it, it reved really high and when I attempted to back out it stalled. I was too afraid to drive it up the road. So what does this mean?

olopezm
05-24-2011, 03:23 PM
It revs higher because the PCM is not detecting any MAF reading and is being forced to work with default values. As said before try again until the van doesn't stalls anymore (normally 2-3 times).

Oscar.

12Ounce
05-24-2011, 03:34 PM
I'm guessing a failing fuel pump.

Add your comment to this topic!