Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help Identifying This Connector.

Off_Timing
05-23-2011, 08:16 PM
Our van is a 2000 Windstar with a 3.8L, and about 130,000km.

Today, I removed the MAF half of the air filter housing so I could spray clean the MAF. But, I found this disconnected electrical connector. I looked around, but I couldn't find the mating half.

Anyone recognize it or know what it's for, and where I might be able to find the matching half.

I found the connector under the air filter housing. There are two wires coming out of it, one looks to be a red with black tracer, and the other looks like a green with red tracer (pls correct me if I'm wrong on the colors).

Pics of the connector are attached.

Thanks.

olopezm
05-24-2011, 11:25 AM
I don't see the cruise control actuator, it should be located at the round base seen in your third picture. Did you remove it? if not, then that connector you're seeing might have belonged to the actuator.

Oscar.

techeng
05-24-2011, 12:15 PM
As Oscar said, this is part of the cruise control wiring. On my '98 windstar, that plugs into a pressure switch mounted to the bottom of the master cylinder. The pressure switch deactivates the cruise control when you step on the brake pedal. It was the subject of a large recall effort by Ford to replace the switch and/or upgrade the wiring harness going to it. Read this thread for more information: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=967804

johnnyb

http://www.pbase.com/image/134984140

12Ounce
05-24-2011, 12:27 PM
How about the pressure switch under the brake master cylinder? .... my diagram shows LB/RD on both sides of the switch .... Methinks that is an error in my book.

Off_Timing
05-24-2011, 07:03 PM
You guys are right. It's the plug that goes into the pressure switch under the bottom of the master cylinder.

This plug looks like it hasn't been plugged in for a while.

I don't know if it was plugged in before and the Ford mechanic didn't plug it back in when they did the cruise control recall. I remember we brought it in for that.

We don't have cruise control on our van. Can I tuck this away and leave it unplugged?

Thanks.

olopezm
05-24-2011, 07:14 PM
You can leave it unplugged, ti won't hurt; or you can go to the dealer and a new replacement switch along with the "improved" harness, it contains an in-line fuse to prevent the system from getting caught on fire, install both and reconnect the harness, then you'll have the cruise control back.

Oscar.

12Ounce
05-25-2011, 03:06 PM
Hmmm .... go slow. Some models use that switch for brake light activation. Make sure you have brake lights!

wiswind
05-25-2011, 08:28 PM
Double check your brake lights......to be sure.
My '96 did NOT use the brake pressure switch for brake lights....but used the Brake On / Off (BOO) switch....located in the passenger compartment, up under the dashboard, on the brake pedal shaft.
When a wire fell off of that.....I could not shift out of PARK.....and had no brake lights.
HOWEVER, again, make sure that your brake lights work......as that could be very dangerous if they don't.

If the brake pressure switch is not used for brake light activation, I would leave it unplugged until you determine for SURE that the brake pressure switch is not leaking......
If it is damp, then I would get a new one and a new harness.
In other words, make sure that the recall has been performed before connecting this switch.......it was disconnected for a reason.

My repair manual says that the brake pressure switch is used by the PCM in transmission control.
How critical it is, I don't know......I remember reading something about unlocking the torque converter in some of my reading someplace.
The only thing that I noticed when mine was acting up was that my cruise control did not work.
I went through the issue with mine LONG before the recall came out.

Off_Timing
05-25-2011, 08:57 PM
I felt around the brake pressure switch last night, I didn't feel any dampness. I'd go out there tonight, but it's raining cats and dogs.

I remember having to bring it in for that recall, but....our van didn't come with cruise control....and when I checked last night, there doesn't seem to be a switch connector under the master cylinder, just a stub. I couldn't figure out why the picture of the switch I have (from a recall posted on the web --> http://www.fordwindstarrecall.info/ ) until I realized the switch wasn't there. I don't know what was there before the recall was done.

Funny you guys should mention brake lights and the BOO. I recently searched for the brake light switch (the one on the brake pedal) because I noticed the brake lights on one time after I exitted the van. I stepped on the brake pedal and the brake lights went off. I found the reference to the BOO. Fix/replace the BOO...It's on the to-do list.

Thanks Guys.

olopezm
05-25-2011, 11:51 PM
You guys are right. It's the plug that goes into the pressure switch under the bottom of the master cylinder.

This plug looks like it hasn't been plugged in for a while.

I don't know if it was plugged in before and the Ford mechanic didn't plug it back in when they did the cruise control recall. I remember we brought it in for that.

We don't have cruise control on our van. Can I tuck this away and leave it unplugged?

Thanks.

Some dealers just disconnected the BPS and they "signaled" the van as having the recall successfully done.

Hmmm .... go slow. Some models use that switch for brake light activation. Make sure you have brake lights!

Not to start arguing but since he's been driving for long and has several older posts, I can think (logically) his brake lights are OK. ;) but I'll make sure to take into account your suggestion for future reference.:iceslolan

Double check your brake lights......to be sure.
My '96 did NOT use the brake pressure switch for brake lights....but used the Brake On / Off (BOO) switch....located in the passenger compartment, up under the dashboard, on the brake pedal shaft.
When a wire fell off of that.....I could not shift out of PARK.....and had no brake lights.
HOWEVER, again, make sure that your brake lights work......as that could be very dangerous if they don't.

If the brake pressure switch is not used for brake light activation, I would leave it unplugged until you determine for SURE that the brake pressure switch is not leaking......
If it is damp, then I would get a new one and a new harness.
In other words, make sure that the recall has been performed before connecting this switch.......it was disconnected for a reason.

My repair manual says that the brake pressure switch is used by the PCM in transmission control.
How critical it is, I don't know......I remember reading something about unlocking the torque converter in some of my reading someplace.
The only thing that I noticed when mine was acting up was that my cruise control did not work.
I went through the issue with mine LONG before the recall came out.

The PCM uses the BOO switch to disengage the Torque converter, at least that's what my manual says. I've uploaded an image about it. The manual calls it a "Brake Pedal Position Switch" but within another chapter it states both (BPP and BOO) are the same.

I've also uploaded the cruise control electrical diagram for you in case you need it. As mentioned before the wiring colors correspond to the Brake Pressure Switch as can be seen in the diagram ;). And I don't see the Cruise control servo in your van which should be located right behind the battery on the round base.

Regards,

Oscar.

Off_Timing
05-26-2011, 12:02 AM
Olopezm. Thanks. I guess I better move "fixing the BOO/BPP" to the top of the Windstar to-do list. ;-)

Add your comment to this topic!