Squirrels ate through my formed fuel lines at tank top!

JL Sargent
05-23-2011, 10:50 AM
My 2000 Silverado 1500 5.3L started smelling of gas real bad. I got out and found gas dripping from the fuel tank. After some investigation I found that the fuel pressure and return lines both had "chew" damage up near the top of the fuel sending unit. It looks like I might can replace those two lines without dropping the tank? I'm hoping to remove the evap. can. and getting it done.

Any advice appreciated!

j cAT
05-23-2011, 05:23 PM
My 2000 Silverado 1500 5.3L started smelling of gas real bad. I got out and found gas dripping from the fuel tank. After some investigation I found that the fuel pressure and return lines both had "chew" damage up near the top of the fuel sending unit. It looks like I might can replace those two lines without dropping the tank? I'm hoping to remove the evap. can. and getting it done.

Any advice appreciated!

go to a scrap yard to get what you need...use wooden blocks/pallets to support the tank...unfasten straps and jack up the body a little to get enough room to replace the chewed hoses..

the rodents chewed my wire under my fuse box this year...rat poison and traps are out until they are totally eliminated..

JL Sargent
05-24-2011, 01:58 PM
OK, I have found that Dorman makes a splice kit for repairing this nylon tubing type fuel line. I found it at Advanced Auto. Thanks for the suggestion though.

j cAT
05-24-2011, 04:28 PM
OK, I have found that Dorman makes a splice kit for repairing this nylon tubing type fuel line. I found it at Advanced Auto. Thanks for the suggestion though.

post back how the repair kit worked

JL Sargent
06-02-2011, 08:24 AM
The kit I used is a nylon to nylon connector assortment. It is # 800-145 .
I cut the 3/8" tubing in half where the squirrel had chewed and installed the connector. I then tested for leaks, done.

FYI: the closest dealership quoted approx. $100 for the formed line set that goes to the top of the fuel tank. (pressure, return, and vapor are all only sold as a set). This Dorman kit cost $6.00.

Add your comment to this topic!