cruising and engine

azharj
05-20-2011, 06:22 PM
One of my friend told me not to use crusing whilel uphill roads, as it damages the engine. Cruising is only for non hilly roads. Is it a truth or myth?

wiswind
05-21-2011, 09:14 PM
This is something that you will have to decide when you are going up the hill.
What you want to avoid is having the transmission shifting down and back up over and over.
If the transmission is doing this, I would press the O/D button on the end of the gear select lever to keep the transmission from shifting into 4th gear (Overdrive).
This is particularly important when towing or you have a lot of weight in the vehicle as these conditions will cause the "hunting" on hills, and the transmission is working harder.

Shifting between gears generates more heat than staying in gear.
When the vehicle is constantly shifting between gears to try to maintain a set speed, it is worse than just having the motor run at a higher RPM in the lower gear to start with.

In other words......pay attention to what your vehicle is doing at the time as there is no hard fast rule.....like always turning the O/D off when towing or not using cruise control on hills.

Although 1 fast and hard rule about cruise control would be to NOT use it on slippery roads.

Add your comment to this topic!