Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'96 LSS flipping out! Need help...

TCHRISD
05-20-2011, 11:15 AM
I have had my '96 LSS non-SC for little over a year now. This whole time my driver door lock has not work. I finally bough a new actuator and installed it yesterday (pain in the a$$). Well when I got done, the lock seemed to work fine and I went to start the car. NOTHING.

So I figured I drained the battery. I got a friend to jump it and after a couple tries it started right up. I let it run for about 10mins and it started idling high. I shut it off and went to re-start and nothing. Not even turning over.

Got the battery check and it was fine. Re-charged the battery for good measure and put back in car. After a couple tries it starts up.

It seem to be running slightly more rockier and all the electronics now work with the key out of the car. LOL. No key in ignition and the radio still works and the power windows work too! WTF. It give a little jerk when I give it gas from a stop unless I really slowly apply gas.

The battery has been giving my probs for a while now. About 1 a month it wont start but all I have to do is jiggle the postive terminal and it has always just started right up.

I am wondering if by changing the lock actuator I messed something up with the security system.

Any help greatly appreciated.

maxwedge
05-20-2011, 11:43 AM
No matter what when you shut down the engine it should kill everything, look for a bad ign switch or a burnt harness that would keep the ign live, key off. Unless you are talking about the retained accessory power feature that keeps accessories working till the door is opened?

TCHRISD
05-20-2011, 12:34 PM
No matter what when you shut down the engine it should kill everything, look for a bad ign switch or a burnt harness that would keep the ign live, key off. Unless you are talking about the retained accessory power feature that keeps accessories working till the door is opened?

The radio will continue to work when the door is opened and the keys are in my pocket. Same with the auto windows......

maxwedge
05-20-2011, 08:22 PM
Ok get out a wiring diagram check for power out of the ign switch harness, which there shouldn't be key off and start from there.

brcidd
05-20-2011, 09:11 PM
The radio will continue to work when the door is opened and the keys are in my pocket. Same with the auto windows......

Well, ,then it's pretty obvious the car does NOT know the door is open...so, look for the door jamb open switch to be inop, misadjusted, unplugged etc.....

Add your comment to this topic!