Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1996 S-10 not getting fuel

butchsterling
05-19-2011, 04:44 PM
I have a 1996 S-10. It was running fine till I stopped to let a tractor turn into a field. When I went to go it hessitated and then died. If I pour gas into throttle body it starts and runs for a few seconds.When it first happened I turned the key and heard fuel pump run but still didn't start. Now if I turn key I hear nothing. I had a 1991 s-10 that seemed to do the same thing and it ended up being a module in the distributor.Does a 1996 have the same module or does anyone have any other ideas?

blazee
05-19-2011, 06:38 PM
It sounds like you may need a fuel pump. You need to check your fuel pressure with a fuel pressure gauge. You'll see a valve with a black cap that looks like a large tire valve toward the back of the engine of the driver's side... connect the pressure gauge to that valve and check pressure with the key on, engine off. The pump should run for about 2 seconds when you turn the key on, during this time the pressure should be 60+ psi.

MT-2500
05-20-2011, 05:16 AM
I have a 1996 S-10. It was running fine till I stopped to let a tractor turn into a field. When I went to go it hessitated and then died. If I pour gas into throttle body it starts and runs for a few seconds.When it first happened I turned the key and heard fuel pump run but still didn't start. Now if I turn key I hear nothing. I had a 1991 s-10 that seemed to do the same thing and it ended up being a module in the distributor.Does a 1996 have the same module or does anyone have any other ideas?

As Blazee said check for fuel pressure.

But before throwing parts at it dom some proper testing.
Giving it squirt of gas or carb cleaner and startb and run a few seconds indicates a fuel delivery problem.
Could be bad fuel pump or relay or fuse or wiring problem.
If you have good spark that rules out dist. module or ing problem.

Next step is to jumper fuel pump with a 20 amp jumper and see if fuel pump runs and pumps prober pressure.
If not check fuel pump and wiring neg and positive.
If pump has power to it and good ground and no runn or low pressure then your pump is bad.
Key on 2 second prime up the fuel pump relay should turn on fuel pump for prime up.
Make sure the relay has 12 volt power to it and is turning on for prime up or engine cranking.
If a after market remote start or anti theft stuff make sure it is not shuttting down fuel pump.

Run these test and post back results.

If pump is bad always use a delphi fuel pump replacement.

butchsterling
05-20-2011, 11:32 AM
Checked pump pressure it was 50# while running.I tapped on fuel tank and it sounded hollow so I dumped more gas in and it started up.50 # of pressure at idle. Now it doesn't want to start again and if I do get it started it doesn't sound good and I have to feather the gas pedal to keep it running. Gonna try changing fuel filter and see if that helps. I do hear the pump run so it is getting power.

blazee
05-20-2011, 12:06 PM
You have to check the pressure without the engine running...

Add your comment to this topic!