Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'92 Dodge Spirit fuel delivery problem -request help

f-ross-k
05-19-2011, 11:19 AM
Hi, I have a 92 dodge spirit 4cyl w/o turbo and w/o fuel injection. I have checked the fuel filter (replaced) disconnected the fuel lines at the carb (no fuel coming through lines).

car will start when gas is poured in carb, I can hear the fuel pump getting power when the key is turned on but no fuel will pump when attempting to start. Does this mean the fuel pump is bad or does it mean I should be looking at a fuel pump relay (I don't know where this is or how to test it or even what it looks like)

tempfixit
05-19-2011, 07:33 PM
Hi, I have a 92 dodge spirit 4cyl w/o turbo and w/o fuel injection. I have checked the fuel filter (replaced) disconnected the fuel lines at the carb (no fuel coming through lines).

car will start when gas is poured in carb, I can hear the fuel pump getting power when the key is turned on but no fuel will pump when attempting to start. Does this mean the fuel pump is bad or does it mean I should be looking at a fuel pump relay (I don't know where this is or how to test it or even what it looks like)

According to the repair manual I looked at the fuel pump is located on the left side of the engine not in the fuel tank.

http://repairguide.autozone.com/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images/0900c152/80/25/1a/50//small/0900c15280251a50.jpg

f-ross-k
05-20-2011, 02:10 PM
thanks for the reply and pic but I cannot find anything on the left side of the engine which looks like the pic you provided. I do have something which I am assuming is a fuel pump going down into the tank from the top (accessible through the back of the trunk) and this is what I can hear powering up when I have someone turn on the key.

tempfixit
05-20-2011, 06:35 PM
thanks for the reply and pic but I cannot find anything on the left side of the engine which looks like the pic you provided. I do have something which I am assuming is a fuel pump going down into the tank from the top (accessible through the back of the trunk) and this is what I can hear powering up when I have someone turn on the key.

Exactly which engine do you have??? Use a fuel pressure gauge and hook it up at the fuel filter and see how much pressure you have. IF you hear the fuel pump running relay should be good. Sock on the fuel pump could be plugged. (Fuel pickup filter)

Add your comment to this topic!