Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Vibration during braking

blind60
05-15-2011, 08:45 PM
99 gmc sierra 1500 5.3L ext cab 146k miles

Ive been having this vibration getting increasingly worse over the last 6 month or so. I can feel the whole front end vibrate and shake only during braking. it will be more intense during hard stops and while braking at higher speeds. I have noticed that some intersections during my daily drive are worse than others. I was indeed due for new front brakes and figured that I just has some serious run out in the rotors. The front pads and rotors were replaced today and I am still left with the same vibration with no change.

What are your thoughts and ideas? I kind of have a hunch that this is sounding more like a suspension problem. Ive owned the truck for 5 years and have done no front end work yet.

j cAT
05-16-2011, 07:58 AM
99 gmc sierra 1500 5.3L ext cab 146k miles

Ive been having this vibration getting increasingly worse over the last 6 month or so. I can feel the whole front end vibrate and shake only during braking. it will be more intense during hard stops and while braking at higher speeds. I have noticed that some intersections during my daily drive are worse than others. I was indeed due for new front brakes and figured that I just has some serious run out in the rotors. The front pads and rotors were replaced today and I am still left with the same vibration with no change.

What are your thoughts and ideas? I kind of have a hunch that this is sounding more like a suspension problem. Ive owned the truck for 5 years and have done no front end work yet.

your problem in most cases would be front rotors damaged.

since replacing no change I would check the idle arms and tie rods..

if the front rotors had distortion the rear brakes not working would cause this damage to the front rotors...

do you grease your front end components every oil change ? lift front end and check with a pry bar if necessary to see any worn front end components....

blind60
05-16-2011, 09:13 AM
When I bought the truck the dealer gave me 5 years worth of free oil changes. SO they have always done the greasing. AND I can confirm that they did grease the front end components nearly every time. I have not checked for play in the front end yet.

Scrapper
05-16-2011, 09:57 AM
your problem in most cases would be front rotors damaged.

since replacing no change I would check the idle arms and tie rods..

if the front rotors had distortion the rear brakes not working would cause this damage to the front rotors...

do you grease your front end components every oil change ? lift front end and check with a pry bar if necessary to see any worn front end components....
i agree with cat on the rotors making it vibrate can you feel it in steering wheel or can you fill vibration it in your seat when braking?

Scrapper
05-16-2011, 10:01 AM
When I bought the truck the dealer gave me 5 years worth of free oil changes. SO they have always done the greasing. AND I can confirm that they did grease the front end components nearly every time. I have not checked for play in the front end yet.

i forgot to tryed tires for being out of round or belt broke in it?

j cAT
05-16-2011, 02:42 PM

the vehicle has easy fittings and hard to get at fittings. the idle arms are hard to access..

post back what you found.

I too had Offer of free dealership oil changes,,,, NO THANKS!

blind60
05-16-2011, 05:58 PM
i agree with cat on the rotors making it vibrate can you feel it in steering wheel or can you fill vibration it in your seat when braking?

I would say its more in the seat than in the steering wheel. Its almost like im driving through an earthquake. I can glance in the rear view and see the bed shaking too. keep in mind this is all during braking. when accelerating or coasting all is smooth.

j cAT
05-16-2011, 07:06 PM
I would say its more in the seat than in the steering wheel. Its almost like im driving through an earthquake. I can glance in the rear view and see the bed shaking too. keep in mind this is all during braking. when accelerating or coasting all is smooth.

so we went from the whole front end to now the bed and under your seat..????

you do have front and rear brakes..so what up with the rear ?

fire24resque
05-17-2011, 08:11 AM

Sounds to me like you have bad rear rotors - if the bed is hopping it's not coming from the front, and you will get the radiating vibration to the front because of how light the back-end is, that would explain the earthquake in your seat...

Scrapper
05-18-2011, 03:15 PM

if you feel it in seat it's the rear brakes and if you ever do this again when you feel it in sterring wheel it's the front.

good luck........

slo99sierra
05-19-2011, 10:19 PM
I can agree. My rear rotors were warped and it made the truck shake when I got on the brakes...I resurfaced them and it's been good since.

On our trucks that have the rear disks, one corner or the other, the sliders stick sometimes and cause uneven pad wear and even will warp the rotors. This is NOT the piston sticking, it's the sliders. They see the most dirt and road grime and it gets to drying out the grease.

KaIIen
05-20-2011, 12:22 AM
On our trucks that have the rear disks, one corner or the other, the sliders stick sometimes and cause uneven pad wear and even will warp the rotors. This is NOT the piston sticking, it's the sliders. They see the most dirt and road grime and it gets to drying out the grease.

3 of the 4 on my truck are like this. Have been since I bought it new.

Scrapper
05-20-2011, 07:32 PM
I can agree. My rear rotors were warped and it made the truck shake when I got on the brakes...I resurfaced them and it's been good since.

i do not like 4 wheel disc when you can see them threw the rim you just know there going to warp. like driving and rotors are hot and water hits them they warp. be diffirent if you cant see threw and not see the rotors.

j cAT
05-20-2011, 07:47 PM
i do not like 4 wheel disc when you can see them threw the rim you just know there going to warp. like driving and rotors are hot and water hits them they warp. be diffirent if you cant see threw and not see the rotors.

since 2000 with this silverado I have the rotors lasted 9yrs..they rusted out,,,.

with over 100,ooomi on them I felt not too bad...

however the caliper pistons rear were bell shaped which caused the pads to wear uneven after they got down to 40 % worn..then those cheap cal pin rubber Seals which in the rust belt cause those pins to rust/corrode..

all this was checked at tire rotation every 10,ooo mi so I had no severe damage...to rotors or pads..got 90,ooomi on the front pads..rears about 40,ooomi probably because of those bell shaped rear caliper pistons.

now at 11yrs and 135,ooomi the brakes never worked so good..

new rotors,rear calipers,and new pads all with lifetime warrantee..

4x4junkie
05-20-2011, 09:44 PM
My truck has a lot of highway miles on it, and has been used for towing and alot of traveling for work...I recently replaced front pads and everythinig in the rear.. rotors, calipers, pads didnt do the Ebrakes because they were fine when inspected (2 piece shoe design) and i never use them. Since then Mine work exceptionally well even when trailering. Prior to replacing though even when the pads didnt seem very bad, they just didnt stop right .... there was NOT any air in the system... the slide pins were rusted in place inside the calipers which was affecting braking and rotors had excessive miles on them and showed signs of wear....
So far this has proven to be an Extremely good investment ... My truck has been regularly serviced and i intend to keep it for many more miles ........ (ABS fuse removed due to common ABS problem on these vehicles)

Add your comment to this topic!