trans winne

big white bufflo
05-14-2011, 10:18 AM
:smile:my wifes 2001 windstar after hiway speed you exit and speed up the trans make a winning noise no trouble shifting or any othe thing after you get up to speed like 2nd gear it go.s away

grog11
05-15-2011, 01:31 PM
Maybe do a transmission filter and entire Mercon V fluid exchange. When was the last time the trans. was serviced, and what mileage is on it now?

big white bufflo
05-15-2011, 08:03 PM
I dont belive in the flush im old school fluid and filter was change less than 35000 but van just turned over 100000

grog11
05-15-2011, 09:15 PM
I dont belive in the flush im old school fluid and filter was change less than 35000 but van just turned over 100000

I understand your point on just doing a drop and a filter exchange. However with just renewing 6 qts. of ATF, you may want to use 15,000 miles as an exchange time and not 30,000 mile interval as a change guide.
If your trans. fluid level is good now, and the whine continues, the 1st thing I would do is change the fluid, if that does not help, you may need to check line pressures with a gauge, to see if the forward clutch and low-int clutch are being applied correctly. The whine could from poor applied clutch engagement. Hopefully the fluid change will clean things up and stop the noise.I am sure the new fluid will make the shift points better if it has not been changed in 30,000 miles.

The 4F50N transmission you have does run hot without an additional trans. cooler added. The in radiator transmission cooling lines have a habit of clogging up with clutch material in higher mileage transmissions, This reduces cooling volume flow and heat temperatures rise accordingly causing internal seal degradation issues.That is why following the ford approved fluid exchange using the existing cooling lines will let you also check fluid flow volume thru the cooler lines.These cooling lines can also be flushed out as preventative maintenance.

One thing to remember when you have changed the fluid is to pull the negative battery cable, clear the memory, and let the pcm re-adapt to the new fluid shift points.

Add your comment to this topic!