Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

OE Brake Pad Materials - 1998 Camry V6 XLE

jimbo3san
05-13-2011, 03:47 PM
I've searched these posts to see if any one knows definitively what the brake pad material is comprised of on the Camry (4th Gen V6). I have the same question for the 4R...but that is a different sub-forum.

Anyway, I am wondering if they are semi-metallic or organic...ceramic perhaps?

I have spoken with a close acquaintance who is a Toyota mechanic at a local dealership and wasn't sure the composition of the material. He said that the materials used in the aftermarket pads are essentially the same. I was somewhat surprised that he went this way given that he is normally *very* adamant when it comes to OEM parts.

He did mention that after-market ceramic pads wear the rotors heavy and to avoid them for that reason.

Thanks,

Scrapper
05-13-2011, 04:37 PM
I've searched these posts to see if any one knows definitively what the brake pad material is comprised of on the Camry (4th Gen V6). I have the same question for the 4R...but that is a different sub-forum.

Anyway, I am wondering if they are semi-metallic or organic...ceramic perhaps?

I have spoken with a close acquaintance who is a Toyota mechanic at a local dealership and wasn't sure the composition of the material. He said that the materials used in the aftermarket pads are essentially the same. I was somewhat surprised that he went this way given that he is normally *very* adamant when it comes to OEM parts.

He did mention that after-market ceramic pads wear the rotors heavy and to avoid them for that reason.

Thanks,
i say o-e's if you plan on keeping it awhile semi-metalic and o.e's on your rotors or better not cheap ones. another thing did you go to autzone.com and look at the pads and rotors not the cheap ones?

Brian R.
05-13-2011, 07:35 PM
The OEM pads are semi-metallic.

jimbo3san
05-13-2011, 11:49 PM
Brian R. ,

Thank you for the info!

I am going to post a similar question in the 4R forum. But do you know if it is the same material for the 4R as well ('99 Limited)? Toyota's website talks about about specific "...friction materials matching the dynamics of the braking system..." I'll probably end up getting OE pads/shoes for both the Camry and my 4R but I wanted to see what the materials were that performed so well in both of these cars.

The Camry had about 115K on it when I replaced the original factory pads in 2005. The current pads (For some reason I went with a ceramic then) have about 60K on them and they are ready to be replaced.

My 4R, believe it or not, has 135K on the factory pads and rotors but they are getting close to needing replacement.

I am likely going OE, simply based on posts here and my own experience. (2X the life, no noise, very little dust, and low rotor wear! Amen.).

Thanks,

Brian R.
05-14-2011, 09:47 AM
I got similar life from mine. I changed them at 120 k. I was getting some shudder (4runner).

Same lining material.

Add your comment to this topic!