Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Engine noise: Lifter or Otherwise?

tomj76
05-11-2011, 11:36 AM
Does anyone have any advice on how to tell the difference between a Lifter that is making a tapping noise vs a Connecting Rod or other bearing making the noise.

The noise dies out after the engine reaches temperature, but it sounds located lower on the engine and more "substantial" than a lifter.

I've used a socket extension to listen to various places on the engine, and I believe the sound is strongest from the back of the engine block.

tempfixit
05-11-2011, 07:37 PM
Does anyone have any advice on how to tell the difference between a Lifter that is making a tapping noise vs a Connecting Rod or other bearing making the noise.

The noise dies out after the engine reaches temperature, but it sounds located lower on the engine and more "substantial" than a lifter.

I've used a socket extension to listen to various places on the engine, and I believe the sound is strongest from the back of the engine block.

Lifter noise will be moe of a ticking sound while a bearing will be more of a knocking sound. I am thinking you might have risk pin noise. Also if from back of engine make sure your converter bolts are tight or a cracked flywheel/flexplate.

Would it be possible to make a video cold and warm and post a link to listen to it.

Add your comment to this topic!